Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User Permission problems on external drives

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mannyjs

Mannyjs

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

Hello all- I have researched this problem I have and cannot find a definitive solution. I have some external hard drives I use to store pictures movies, etc. Many of the folders and files that have been put on the drives are just wasting space and I would like to delete them. Problem is when I try to delete the laptop tells me I need permission to perform the delete. When I go to that folder and pull up the properties to get the security tab to edit the user permissions... I highlight any of the accounts (including the administrator account) and it does not allow me to add, remove, click on full control to allow full control, etc. Those functions are grayed out and will not allow me to change them so that I can have full permission rights and delete the folders on the hard drive. It is very annoying and in time the hard drive will be near full and I will have all those unwanted folders and files taking up space.

I have noticed that all the external drives I plug into my laptop show them to be in the shared state and it shows a tiny icon on top of the drive letter of two people's upper torso and head standing next to each other.

Does anyone know how to fix this or get access permission rights for these external drives.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 35,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

Try to take ownership of those folders: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Mannyjs

Mannyjs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

Thanks Broni. That was one of the solutions I found while doing research on how to fix this. I saw it involved messing with the registry and that made me scared of messing things up on the computer. Have you tried this hack? Did it work for you or anyone you know?

Again thanks and best regards.

Manny

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 35,748 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

I used it a lot of times and it never created any issues.
It just changes permissions for a given folder/file.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Mannyjs

Mannyjs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

EXCELLENT! Sounds like just the thing I need. I will download and install the next chance I get. Thanks again Broni. You have been very helpful.

Manny

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 35,748 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

You're very welcome Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 Mannyjs

Mannyjs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:30 AM

Broni - I tried out that download and it works like a charm. It allowed me to get rid of all the folders I needed to get rid of. The only exception it could not take ownership on was an old WINDOWS system folder and in particular the old system 32 folder. Let me explain. I had a laptop that died on me and I was able to salvage the hard drive, which of course had its WINDOWS system folder, files etc... and I am using it as an external hard drive for storage. The "Take Ownership" download application cannot take ownership of this folder and its contents.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of this folder? There is about 2 gigs of system files in the folder that used to belong to my old laptop.

Regardless, that download you suggested works great.

Thanks

Manny

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 35,748 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

Download, and install Unlocker: http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/
Restart computer.
It'll install under right click menu.

Open Windows Explorer.
Navigate to offending folder/file.

Right click on a folder/file. Click Unlocker
Select Delete from drop-down menu:

Posted Image

Click OK.
A folder/file will refuse to be deleted, but Unlocker will give you an option to delete on reboot:

Posted Image

Click Yes.
Restart computer.

==============================================================

If the above doesn't work, try...

LockHunter: http://lockhunter.com/

FileASSASSIN: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/fileassassin.html

Edited by Broni, 09 January 2013 - 12:35 AM.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 Mannyjs

Mannyjs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

Thank you Sir. I will give those a try and I'll let you know how it went.

Manny

#10 Mannyjs

Mannyjs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

Broni, I downloaded Unlocker. The latest version is version 1.91 64 bit version. For that version it is an application that installs in your programs. It no longer is launched by right clicking. Anyway you go and highlight the offending folders and follow the instructions, select delete in one of the dropdown windows and click on Unlock. It then goes ahead and deletes whatever you chose to unlock and dumps them all into the recycle bin. Then you just clean out the recycle bin. Works like a charm!

Thanks a lot for the great recommendations and help. Hope this helps others as well.

Manny

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 35,748 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

You're very welcome Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users