Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AdwCleaner

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 peterlonz

peterlonz

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:36 AM

I have had this program installed for a couple of weeks now.
Very useful, at first I found many instances of malware not found by MSE, or by SuperAntispyware.
I was both pleased that the malware was found, but disappointed (particularly with MSE), that this small simple program had found what they could not !
Subsequently if my browser slows noticeably I run AdwCleaner & occasionally (as if from nowhere) I have one or two instances of malware.
I am defining malware as anything installed without specific permission, regardless of threat level.
AdwCleaner is easy & fast but after the deletion process you must restart which takes longer than the "search" & "delete" process.
There are many program improvements one could suggest, but in essence it's small simple & it works!

Warning: You might be tempted as I was, to download & install the Hosts/PUP files recommended by AdwCleaner.
I'd suggest you don't. I spent ages attempting to do this, but the webpage is a nightmare in French !
I spent sometime drafting a few suggestions but the contact me link failed repeatedly. Very frustrating.

Edit: Moved topic from All Other Applications to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 14,960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

If you think you may be infected with malware, the first place to start is in the "Am I Infected? What Do I Do?" forum. This is a centralized place where advanced members and staff can provide initial assistance with malware removal. If your issues cannot be resolved there, then you will receive further instructions as to what you need to do.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

#3 peterlonz

peterlonz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

dc3 - I am unsure if your reply here was intended as a response to my msg.
Please be advised, I was as the title suggested, offering general comment.
I have no reason to suspect I am infected with Malware.

#4 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 14,960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

I had not realized that this was a testimonial for that program. Because you posted "many instances of malware" I was only suggesting that if you have any suspicions about being infected that you post a topic in the Am I Infected forum. You are a new member and may not be aware that a very large portion of what goes on here is in the Security forums where we have staff members who are highly trained in techniques for cleaning infected computers.

For the record, there is no single program out there that is going to be able to find every type of bug out there. This is why it is suggested that you have an active anti virus, a firewall, and run periodic scans with applications like Malwarebyte and SUPERAntiSpyware. There are freeware applications for good antivirus and firewalls, you can find applications in the Freeware Replacements for Common Commercial Apps , this is a sub-forum in the Software forum and All Other Applications. MSE is freeware and is better than nothing, but there are other freeware applications which have been found to be more effective.Posted Image

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

#5 noknojon

noknojon

Aussie Addict

• Members
  • 8,829 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

Hi peterlonz -
Have you ever used Junkware Removal Tool by thisisu, and I think you may find them not unrelated.
Both programs seem to aim to removal of minor Add-Ons and smaller items that are not always picked up by your Antivirus
The program developer, thisisu is a regular here and is very helpful with advice on the use of his tool.

Some detailed information on AdwCleaner is sketchy, due to the French site, but can be slowly translated for more information, as I have done.

But as per dc3, your Antivirus is still a major part of your protection at any time (I do use MSE and am quite happy with it) .

Regards -

To any other members, please post in Am I Infected or Malware Removal forums if you are seeking help with any problems. :busy:

Thank You -

- Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium Toshiba Laptop - Avant and user of Internet Explorer Browsers  - And I Use GOOGLE-

~ Remember to Press F5 as you may already have an answer waiting for you ..... If not .....The answer is always 42, or Reboot ~

#6 peterlonz

peterlonz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

In view of the responses I offer the sum of my experience with AVs & "Adware removal tools" over the last 10 years or so.
In that period I have used XP, & then from the date of it's release Win7(64).
With XP I twice found it necessary to "wipe & reinstall" but in neither case could I establish that a virus was the cause.
Subsequently Win7 has performed right up to my expectations although at times my 28GHz Quadcore i7860 Intel cored machine does run slow periodically for reasons unknown, but I think best explained by the frequent observation of others that "this is what PCs do after several years".
I have had no virus in that time, but I have experienced difficult to remove malware, generally rated low risk & a recent example was Conduit.com.
For many years I used Avast or Avira, & "Spyware Search & Destroy". At the time they received the best reviews.
Since the introduction of MSE I have used it in combination with SuperAntspyware. Both again have received favourable reviews & I believe MSE to be the best overall from an ease of use & "no side effects" point of view.
Recently I have read that tests of MSE have not yielded the top results of earlier times but these reports vary a good deal & it seems that all AV's get rated differently over time & by different test protocols.
I see again here that SuperAntiSpyware & Malwarebytes is suggested as superior.
I have used both over an extended period, & found absolutely nothing that MSE did not first detect.
In fact they may together be equivalent to MSE, but I don't go along with multiple AV installations, conflicts can & do arise even when the vendors say they don't. Then you are likely to see some speed reduction.
As a general rule if I find something that looks suspicious, even though its been "allowed" by MSE, I upload to Jotti for further evaluation. So far nothing found although we know Jotti will frequently report a "generic" using one or two of the AVs used.
So for me at this time it's MSE, forget Malwarebytes & forget SuperAntiSpyware.
Also use AdwCleaner because it's so fast & simple, even if you regularly use an alternative.
I have to again say it is utterly beyond me why even programs like MSE cannot be quickly modified to do what AdwCleaner does & its not the only instance of AV vendors being sluggish.
I guess everyone has experience that differs & probably depends upon how safe their web surfing activities are; in my case I only avoid sites when I receive a warning that the site is unsafe. Which application I have that currently does that I can't say, McAfee used to offer an ap that did that & I would recommend such apps because it's one more layer of safety at no significant imposition.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 59,970 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

Hello peterlonz, I have only this to add to your comments which are good.

I see again here that SuperAntiSpyware & Malwarebytes is suggested as superior.
I have used both over an extended period, & found absolutely nothing that MSE did not first detect.
In fact they may together be equivalent to MSE, but I don't go along with multiple AV installations, conflicts can & do arise even when the vendors say they don't. Then you are likely to see some speed reduction

SuperAntiSpyware & Malwarebytes are both Antimalware tools NOT antivirus ( MSE ). Therefore they can be run along side an AV. That said if they are the Paid version. As only the paid versions are active,as the AV IS active always. Hence if your SAS and/or MBAM are not paid thet will not pick the malware before the active AV.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users