Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dll file creator program

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

Is there a freeware program that would automatically create dll files & allow you to add icons to them?

I can make icon resource files with various sized icons included but I don't know how to create a dll to put them in.

Any help would be appreciated. :)
My Webpage ~ Surfing The Internet Is Like Raiding A Tomb

Cędite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Bleepin Microsoftie Engineer

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 11,929 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

Why do you need to put them in a .dll? Usually the reason one would do that would be to package the icons with some code. But you obviously don't have code.

Billy3
Look buddy, I'm an Engineer, and that means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?" .. 'cause that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy....
GitHub - Twitter
My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)

#3 medab1

medab1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

Why do you need to put them in a .dll? Usually the reason one would do that would be to package the icons with some code. But you obviously don't have code.

Billy3

I have lots of icons.
putting them in a dll would save me from adding them to system32 one by one & having to search for them among all the files in system32.
Of which, there are a lot.
My intentions are not malicious.
I just want to make a dll file & stick it in system32 so if I WANT TO CHANGE AN ICON i CAN EASILY FIND IT & choose it.
I'm not a bad person.

Then again, The Road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Bleepin Microsoftie Engineer

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 11,929 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

Why not just zip up .icos then?

The way you would do this would be to create a .DLL with your favorite compiler and embed the icons as resources. (That's all you're seeing if you open up a DLL with icons inside in something like ResHack)

Billy3
Look buddy, I'm an Engineer, and that means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?" .. 'cause that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy....
GitHub - Twitter
My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)

#5 medab1

medab1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:35 AM

Why not just zip up .icos then?

The way you would do this would be to create a .DLL with your favorite compiler and embed the icons as resources. (That's all you're seeing if you open up a DLL with icons inside in something like ResHack)

Billy3

Hello,

I tried a zippped folder & nothing.

I made a folder & pasted in a bunch of icons.
It worked.
I have no need to create a DLL file.

This is so simple it boggles my mind I didn't think of it before.

See picture---

http://i50.tinypic.com/2m428nr.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users