Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to boot from .ISO File

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 maxell505

maxell505

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

Hi, I have a Mac OSX Mountain Lion.iso file and I wanted to put it on my USB Drive(8 GB) and I wanted to boot from that .ISO file. I have tried using powerISO to do it but my USB Drive will not show up on the list. Can somebody please show me how I can do this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Erm. Is this the same flash drive that we were just troubleshooting?
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#3 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

Oh wow haha. No this isn't the same one. This is a different one, but can you please help me?

#4 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

Mac OSX Lion bootable flash drive
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

I <3 Linux

#5 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

No I don't want to create it on a Mac. I want to create it on a Windows laptop and boot it on a Windows laptop, similar to how you do it with Linux. Except I don't want to boot Linux from a USB Drive. Instead I want to boot Mac OSX Lion using the .iso I have with me

#6 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

If I'm understanding this correctly, you want to run Mac OSX on a Windows oriented PC?

I'm not a Mac owner/user by any means, so more knowledgeable heads may prevail here...

The last I recalled, Apple used a security chip to match up the hardware with the OS to ensure no one was using a Mac OS on a Windows (or other) PC. This is different from Linux because all Mac operating systems are proprietary despite their Unix heritage, and as such aren't available in the same fashion as Unix/Linux.

I <3 Linux

#7 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

Ok I have the ISO but all I need is aprogram that can create a bootloader on the USB Drive

#8 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

Let me simplify this:

You cannot use a Mac OSX on a Windows PC.

I <3 Linux

#9 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

Yes you can because I have seen people do it. I just need a program to do it. You don't know anything and I hope you never become an advisor

#10 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

Perhaps you should read...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/welcome-guide/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forum-rules/

Important!
BleepingComputer.com is a friendly and polite atmosphere. With this in mind, there are a few rules you need to follow:

Read the forum rules found here.

Do not ask questions that are illegal in nature. This includes downloading or sharing copyrighted software, information on how to crack software, or change an administrator password.

Advertisements of any kind are not allowed. Topics with advertisement will be considered spam!

Do not post your question multiple times. If you posted your question in the wrong forum, you can always ask a moderator to move it for you. Information on the various member groups and how to find moderators can be found here.

Be patient and polite while waiting for your question to be answered. It is important to remember that everyone here is a volunteer, so you may not receive an answer immediately

from the forum rules:

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

Edited by MDTechService, 01 January 2013 - 06:26 PM.

I <3 Linux

#11 maxell505

maxell505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

ohh noooooo im so scared! Can you please just close this topic because you are no help

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 62,323 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

This is a grey area but in the Apple EULA ....
Posted Image
Posted Image

It explicitly states it is only permitted to be used on Apple branded hardware. Even down to a Apple branded USB stick.

Hackintosh.com

On these conditions,I have closed this topic.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users