Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 BAD_POOL_HEADER Error

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 sinancem3

sinancem3

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:24 AM

I have a DELL Studio 1747 and a Windows 8. I used to have a Windows 7 and it was working fine. I had: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1) and I downlaoded: AMD_Catalyst_12.6_Legacy_Win8. It still says the old ATI Radeon one at the Device Manager but after the Catalyst download an error occured. A BAD_POOL_HEADER bluescreen occured every 5 hours. If the computer is closed, it still counts the 5 hour (btw 5 hour is a guess) and when you open the computer it just shows the message and starts the 5 hour loop again. Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

Hello sinancem3,

If we could gather a little more information about the problem computer, it might prove helpful in pointing toward a solution.

Please follow this link: BSOD Posting Instructions Windows 8 - Windows 7 - Vista.
  • Follow all instructions with the exception of:
    • Creating a new thread HERE and attach the file(s) after step 4
  • Note: Both files of Step 1 need to be in the Documents folder.
Upload the zipped folder to a File Sharing website of your choosing because Bleeping Computer has a 512 K only upload limit and this file will be much larger.
In addition:

To help us get a better look at your computer's hardware, please download and install Speccy by Piriform. (mirror site)
  • Run Speccy and from the top menu, select File --> Publish Snapshot. Click "Yes" to proceed.
  • Click, Copy to Clipboard and paste this address into your next post.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 sinancem3

sinancem3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

First of all thanks for the reply,

I did install Speccy but it gave an an error called "error 126" so I couldn't manage to use the program.
And the other "jcgriff2 BSOD File Collection app" would do everything and then repeat saying "Waiting for Autoruns to complete".

Now I want to mention that after I installed the AMD Catalyst thing, with this bluescreen error, there also was a message saying "kdbsync.exe" stopeped working and I found help on the Internet to stop it... I found the kdbsync.exe and double-clicked on it and I tought it was over. The messagage stopped coming but the Blue Screen error would anyways come.

It seemed like the error was about these "autoruns" so I opened the other "autoruns.exe" program and there were some yellow labels. And ther first one I see is AMD AVT... I clicked on Jump to Entry and saw that its code is:

"Cmd.exe /c start "AMD Accelerated Video Transcoding device initialization" /min "C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD AVT\bin\kdbsync.exe" aml"

and I tried it on CMD and I got the same message that I used to take... kdbsync.exe stopped working. Then I tried:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD AVT\bin\kdbsync.exe"

and It said things about parameters and and Show me the usage of it. Here is what it said:
Usage: kdbsync [-v] [-resync] [-dir <kdb-directory>] [-d <device>] <kdbname>

What makes me think is the Bluescreen came with the Catalyst download and "kdbsync.exe" is about Catalyst (at least AMD)

There are also a couple of other failing autoruns which I do not have an idea about and probably the endless loop in the BSOD program is because of these items.

Here is the download link for the "BSOD Program Results" with "perfmon /report Report" and more Info About my computer.
http://www.4shared.com/rar/p6UEZXUS/BAD_POOL_HEADER_Sinancem3_PC.html

Thanks!

Edited by sinancem3, 02 January 2013 - 01:45 PM.

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Hi sinancem3,

Your link from 4shared.com can't be accessed without login credentials. See if you can allow sharing.

Regards,
Brooks

#5 sinancem3

sinancem3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

Here is a RapidShare link:
http://rapidshare.com/files/2905159175/BAD_POOL_HEADER.rar

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

Thank you sinancem3 for the files. :thumbup2:

It will take some time to look over the 50 dump files.

Regards,
Brooks

#7 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

Hello,

On quick look, many of your minidumps flag this file.

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for avgntflt.sys 
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for avgntflt.sys 
Probably caused by : avgntflt.sys ( avgntflt+4ccf )
Probably caused by : avgntflt.sys
  • (Avira Minifilter Driver is a driver file from company Avira GmbH )

avgntflt avgntflt.sys Thu Sep 13 01:47:38 2012

My initial suggestion is for you to uninstall Avira Anti-virus. Let us know how that affects your system.

I'll be back with more suggestions.

Regards,
Brooks

#8 sinancem3

sinancem3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Thanks for the suggestion!

I will return with the answer as soon as possible :)

#9 sinancem3

sinancem3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

I think you found the problem!

First, I installed ESET NOD 5 because then I wouldn't have any other anti-virus softwares. Then I went to "Programs and Features" from the Control Panel and tried to uninstall the program. Then it started and the BAD_POOL_HEADER came. I first tought it was a coincidence because the computer was turned on for a while for the BAD_POOL_HEADER to occur. So I started the computer and tried to uninstall the program again and there I was grinning at a bluescreen. I will now try to delete the software from the "Program Files" and will post the results later since the BAD_POOL_HEADER takes some time to occur!

Thanks again!

#10 sinancem3

sinancem3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

Here is the problem now.

Avira Anti-Virus is uninstallable...

If I try it from Programs and Features it just gives me a BAD_POOL_HEADER.
And it can not be deleted manually from Program Files... It asks permission from Administrator and normally I just say Yes but this time there are no "Yes" there is "Retry", "Skip" or "Cancel". So I entered the Administrator account by activating it from CMD and I can't delete it from the Administrator account too!

I also tried to delete it by CMD:
del "C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\*.*"
pause

And it asks me Y/N I type Y and enter and nothing happens. Just a blank line and the pause command...

I am stuck here and also thanks alot for spotting the problem since it is a very important part in solving it :)

Edited by sinancem3, 04 January 2013 - 01:36 PM.

#11 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

Hi,

Here is a page of anti-virus removal tools. Give the Avira removal tool a try.
I'm not sure that Avira is comparible with Windows 8 yet, but I could be wrong.

Windows 8 has MS Windows Defender built in, which is a combination of Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) and Windows Defender of Windows 7. That with the free Malwarebytes Anti-malware as an on-demand scanner should provide good protection. If you install the free Malwarebytes, uncheck the offer for a trial of the Pro version.

Regards,
Brooks

#12 sinancem3

sinancem3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

Went to the site and clicked on Avira but it is showing the same thing I tried and failed because the Blue Screen appeared.

#13 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

Hello sinancem3,

Can I assume that you now have both Eset Nod 5 antivirus and Avira antivirus installed? If that's the case, it isn't going to help with system stability. Can you uninstall Nod 5 for the time being? You can reinstall it after Avira has been removed.

Try This
Read this post: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/badpoolheader-after-trying-to-uninstall-avira/b9e3875f-dbe1-49c4-bb77-24b513a67037.
  • Arrow down to Snakiest replied on October 31, 2012. His first post.
  • Try running the setup.exe from within the Avira folder from Safe Mode to uninstall the software.
  • See: How to boot into Safe Mode in Windows 8.

Regards,
Brooks

#14 sinancem3

sinancem3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

The link brought me to an error page.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The resource cannot be found.
Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/badpoolheader-after-trying-to-uninstall-avira/b9e3875f-dbe1-49c4-bb77-24b513a67037.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

But I understood what you ment, I will do it ASAP and will send you the results!

Thanks!

#15 sinancem3

sinancem3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

I think the problems is done, I found a way to boot in safemode since Shift + F8 wouldn't work. I opened "msconfig" by writing "msconfig" in the program which opens when you do "Win+R". Then at booting options I enabled safe mode, got into the Safe Mode, Deleted Avira from Program Files AND Add and Remove Programs so I think it is done and the computer had just crashed before I did that so it will take some time to see If a bluescreen occurs again.

Thanks For All The Help!

Edited by sinancem3, 08 January 2013 - 06:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users