Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GARMEN NUVI 660

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CORVETTEGAL

CORVETTEGAL

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

very odd...A NEW GARMEN is around $100.00 or cheaper, with free LIFETIME MAP UPDATES.
My 6 year old Garmen NUVI 660, needs a map update.
they want $59.95 at garmen web site.

In addition, you have to send it in for a new battery..cannot do yourself.
Any links to map updates without cost? OR A DISCOUNT coupon??
Thank you
Karen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 28,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

Or lifetime updates for $49.99 through Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-nuMaps-Lifetime-America-Updates/dp/B006TEHS4M/ref=pd_cp_sw_1

Non transferable if your 6 year old 660 dies though.

I've never found a safe and legal way of getting them other than through Amazon or Garmin.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown

Posted Image

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 mixpix

mixpix

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

That was the obstacle I faced, when posed with paying for a map update or buying a whole new unit with unlimited map updates. I finally chose the newer unit because of added features, like Bluetooth hands free phone conversation. Then after a year or so, upgraded to even newer unit, because it had better speaker & lane assist.

Garmin, is the best GPS for us consumer folk, by far. I come from the days of using Megellean Meridian & (Gold=color unit). The Magellan's were the best of the time, but they wouldn't help when I ran into trouble with trying to get more map areas on a SIM card. I didn't want to have to buy a whole new card, when switching to another area. Magellan went the way of Kodak & Garmin was a whole lot more friendly. I have never looked much at other units. Furthermore, it seems if you own a Google device, you'll never have to pay for GPS?

Windows 7 sp1 32 bit

Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU  T5750 @ 2.00gHz 2.00 GHz

Ram: 4.00 GB (3.75 GB useable)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VNZNmcrsHQpEHgN51iurDWj

#4 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,655 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:57 PM

You can change the battery yourself - just google "Change battery nuvi 660" and you will find a number of youtube videos showing you how.  It does appear this is one of the more difficult units to do it on though. 

Derfram
~~~~~~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users