Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing XP on a new WIndows 8 Laptop

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 Andaroo

Andaroo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:32 AM

Hey Guys! My Dad recently got a new laptop (ASUS S56C) and he wanted me to install XP on it for him because he needed it for work. It came with Windows 8 pre-installed. I had considerable difficulties trying to get it to boot from the Windows XP disc because of the new BIOS and "secure boot", but I followed the instructions in this thread and it addressed most of the problems. My new problem is that it seems like the only way to install XP on this laptop is to wipe the hard-drive clean, deleting Windows 8 in the process. I have little sympathy for Windows 8, but I'm concerned that some drivers might not be compatible with XP, so I'm reluctant to outright delete the OS. Here are the problems I've come across:

- In Windows 8, my drive (a 1TB HDD + 24GB SSD hybrid drive) appears to be partitioned into two equal 400GB~ partitions, C & D. All my data and Windows 8 is stored in drive C, while drive D is shown as empty. I was originally planning to format drive D into NTFS and install XP onto it, keeping C: and Windows 8.

- However, when I boot from my Windows XP disk, I see two completely different partitions in the install menu: E and F. E is around 1TB and F around 24GB, so I assume they correspond to the HDD and SSD respectively. But in this menu, BOTH drives are listed as completely empty.

To make things worse, after adjusting my BIOS to let me boot from my XP disk, my laptop won't boot back into Windows 8 (I tried, and it gave me an "automatic repair" screen for a couple hours, then told me that something was unable to be repaired).

I guess my question is, assuming I get this repair problem fixed, is there any way I can re-partition my drive within Windows 8 that will allow me to install XP without wiping the entire drive clean?

Edited by Andaroo, 27 December 2012 - 01:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andaroo

Andaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:13 AM

I did some research and it doesn't seem like a way exists. I made a new post in the XP forum about some different questions I had. Not sure how to delete this thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users