Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 2000 Pro computer keeps rebooting

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Alatac

Alatac

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

I have a computer running Windows 2000 Professional. The last two weeks the computer has been rebooting. Sometimes it stays on for 30 minutes, other times 3 minutes, if I try searching for some file, the faster it reboots, and when I attempt a virus scan it gets about half way through and then reboots. When I went directly into the bios, and left the computer on, it did not reboot (and I left it on for over 3 hours).

Under event log I have dozens of errors stating: "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was 0x000000d1 (0x0000c802, 0x00000006, 0x00000000, 0x0000c802) Microsoft Windows 2000 Version 15.2196 A dump was saved in C:\winNT\minidump\mini122411.04.dmp"

I also got a SI32.exe error, but didn't get a screenshot of it.

The last thing that is always consistent is each time the computer reboots and starts up windows, at the splash screen I get a pop up saying it is trying to install a multimedia audio controller. It's in the device managers but with the yellow exclamation point. I tried deleting it but each time it reboots the same message pops up and it is there again in the device manager. I tried updating the driver but there isn't an update for it. Or at least I couldn't find one. And all the sounds work perfectly so I am suspecting I do not need this device.

The only thing that was changed on the computer when this started was an attempt to renew my Norton System Works 2003. After a lengthy phone convo I was told the anti-virus could not be renewed because for whatever reason they couldn't get it to renew on my system. The Norton rep mentioned something about trying various product keys but none of them worked. So they said I had to upgrade Windows 2000 to a new OS. I did not do that. About 3 to 4 days later the computer started rebooting.

I had considered it might be temperatures overheating. I tried to install a temperature monitoring program, but I kept getting errors popping up saying it could not find a specific kernel and would not install. When I was in the BIOS though, my temps were normal (around 30 degrees C).

Does this sound like a virus/rootkit? Something related to Norton? Or a hardware issue?

Thank you for any help you can send my way.

Edited by Alatac, 25 December 2012 - 09:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jimbob85

Jimbob85

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:12 PM

Welcome to BC!

For what it's worth I would try a restore point. Below is some info from geekstogo.com about stop d1.
You may want to try the Norton Removal Tool for System Works.

Stop 0x000000D1 or DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The Stop 0xD1 messages indicates that the system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. Drivers that have used improper addresses typically cause this error.

Possible Resolutions:

Stop 0xD1 messages can occur after installing faulty drivers or system services. If a driver is listed by name, disable, remove, or roll back that driver to confirm that this resolves the error. If so, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for backup programs, multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, DVD playback, and CD mastering tools.
Ghostbuster in training.

If I have not replied within 3 days please send me a PM. I won't reply on Sundays.

#3 Alatac

Alatac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

Thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately at this point any restore points for this computer are after the problem started.

Is there any way for me to entirely remove the multimedia audio controller? It refuses to update. Would disabling it in the bios help at all?

The Norton Removal tool says it is for Windows Vista and XP. Doesn't mention Win 2000 Pro. Is there a different version for my OS?

Edited by Alatac, 28 December 2012 - 02:36 PM.

#4 Jimbob85

Jimbob85

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

Sorry to hear you don't have any other restore points.

If you can boot into safemode you can disable the audio controller in device manager.

As far as the Norton removal tool, I did find several websites that list the removal tool as compatible for Win. 2000. I would create a restore point before running it just to be on the safe side since Norton does not list it.
Ghostbuster in training.

If I have not replied within 3 days please send me a PM. I won't reply on Sundays.

#5 Alatac

Alatac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

I disabled the media controller, and am no longer getting the device installation pop up. But the computer is still rebooting after a half hour to one hour.

#6 Jimbob85

Jimbob85

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

Sorry for the delayed response.

At this point I would suspect RAM or maybe something that you have installed.

Lets check your RAM:

Please Download Memtest86+
Unzip the ISO and burn it to a cd
Boot to the cd
Take the cd out of the computer, in case the computer reboots it will be obvious
Test the RAM, overnight if possible
If you have bad RAM the bottom half the screen will turn red with white letters and there is also a line item that will show the number of errors

Report in your next post how the test has gone, number of passes made, number of errors, etc.

I would also check your capacitors. Take a look here to see what Blown Capacitors look like.

Let me know what you find out
Ghostbuster in training.

#7 Jimbob85

Jimbob85

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

Just wanted to check and see if you still need help?
Ghostbuster in training.

#8 Alatac

Alatac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

Hello! Sorry it has taken so long to reply. I did the Memtest and it came back clean every time. I don't have any blown capacitors. Then I got to the point where my hard drive would not boot up at all for a couple days.

I switched in another HDD I had and the new one is working perfectly. So it's got to be something wrong on my previous HDD.

#9 Jimbob85

Jimbob85

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

If you would like to test your hard drive you can try this.

Please read and reread this in detail before you start, if you have any questions please ask!!

Please click the DOWNLOAD link on this Page, under the pic of a HDD
Save it to and unzip it to your desktop
Open the app and select your drive under "Drive#"
Click the little drive above the top information box
Pick "Extended Test" and then start
This test will take a while with larger drives
NOTE: DO NOT select Write Zeros in the last box or you WILL lose all of your data!! Please be careful and double check what you pick!!!!

Glad to hear that you are back up and running! Let me know if you need anything further.
Ghostbuster in training.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users