Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Black Screen on startup

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 mattski

mattski

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

Having issues with my Dell Studio 1737 Vista laptop. 2 days ago, it was working fine. Had some family over for the holidays, and i let them play with the laptop while they were at home and i was at work. i think this is where things went wrong.

Yesterday, on startup, it went straight from the windows startup splash screen to the black screen of death. here's the rest of my adventure:

I was able to boot in safe mode, and did a malware scan and removed "suspicious" items. I also ran a Hijack this, but didn't see anything that immediately jumped out as being a threat. I tried to reboot after the malware scan, and was met with the black screen once again.

Next step was a repair/restore, both of which resulted in either a lockup, or a black screen. Rebooted again in safe mode (this time with networking)
i went ahead and did a defrag, as well as a scandisk and dskchk /R. After the dskchk, everything seemed to boot fine. When i tried to reboot "normally", again i received the black screen, but was able to boot normally when i tried "last known good configuration".

Once again, I tried to boot in safe mode (this time with "advanced" debugging) and that worked fine. Windows apparently downloaded an update while i was checking system settings, and i decided to go ahead and install them. After the installation auto-reboot, Windows was up and running fine.

I added a new "guest" user, thinking that if things were back to normal, then that might help with the multiple users. However, when i just now rebooted again, the black screen came to haunt me.

I'm out of ideas, so i thought i'd post here to check if anyone else can help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users