Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 and firewire?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 jmtjet

jmtjet

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

I have a Sony handycam camcorder that records to mini DV tape. I thought I could use a USB wire to capture videos from tape to PC, not so. On my old computer I used firewire for transfer. Now I understand that Win 8 does not support Firewire. GRRR. I'm going to try to transfer the firewire card from my old computer to my new Dell Inspiron 660 and hope that windows can find a driver for it. Any advice on this? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Bleep Bleep!

• Admin
  • 40,380 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:48 PM

Firewire is supported. You just need to get the Windows 8 driver from your firewire card manufacturer.

#3 jmtjet

jmtjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:23 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'm searching for the correct one. I'm also trying to find the box it came in, that would help also. It has to be 64 bit as my system is 64 bit. It's a Texas instruments 1394 ohci complaint host controller. I'll search more tomorrow, enough for tonight.

#4 jmtjet

jmtjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

I finally got around to checking the manual (DUH) I found that I need a PCI express card. That lets out using the card from my old computer (PCI)So I checked out Newegg and found one that is Windows 8 compatible for about $26.00 dollars. I'll order that one and that should end my problem. I've already installed Pinnacle studio 14 so I'm all set for editing. Thanks again. You can close this thread now if you wish.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Bleep Bleep!

• Admin
  • 40,380 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

OK thanks for letting us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users