Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RealPlayer problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nosmiley

nosmiley

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

I downloaded a new edition of Realplayer the other day from Filehippo, or CNET. The player screen opens, but when I choose anything in my files to watch or listen to, the whole computer locks up. I'm speaking of files previously downloaded with realplayer ( free) . I can't get rid of the realplayer screen or anything. The only button that gets the computer to move is to close, and restart. Trying Realplayer again produces the same result. Trying to find the program has been fruitless. Realplayer or RealNetworks is not listed in programs, uninstalling, or Revo Uninstaller, or Auslogics Uninstaller. In the list of products on the left side of the screen (start menu? ) it lists RealNetworks like this:
RealNetworks
Real Downloader
Realplayer Converter
Realplayer Trimmer
Real Player
I can open realplayer here or use the desktop icon, but still the lockup.Once it's opened, you can't minimize it in order to try something new,-- the computer has to be shutdown and restarted.
I don't want to accidently remove by videos, and/or music.
The previous edition worked fine. I didn't try to uninstall it before the new download
Windows 7, Revo, Ccleaner,AVG,Advance Systemcare pro, all windows updates,& virus updates.
Thanks for your advice.

Edited by hamluis, 20 December 2012 - 10:49 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Audio & Video - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,627 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

hi, its been many years since i used realplayer ,didn't realize people still used it ,it was consider malware by some people or scanning programs way back when .
did you try reinstalling it to see if it changes , have you ever tried VLT player as an alternative to real player ,its my choice of one of 2 player i have been using for a few years now .
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Edited by caperjac, 19 December 2012 - 05:07 PM.

:bananas: The story of a young boy growing up in Cape Breton and becoming heavily addicted to IV Drugs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApCvjXGUQ_Y&feature=youtu.be

#3 nosmiley

nosmiley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't guess I have tried VLT. The main reason I liked realplayer was the little popup message that would come up quickly on top of the box of what you are watching. Other than that, I have no reason.
No, I haven't tried installing it on top of the new download. As mentioned I suppose I did install it over the old one. Some programs automatically remove the part being replaced, and I was hoping.
A lot of my files are on VLC, the one with the traffic cone as a symbol. In the past realplayer played them fine.
I just want a player that has simple fast steps to record (download) something as you are watching it. I went to the Real player site and looked at uninstalling realplayer on windows 7 without losing your keepers. I went through the steps but windows never would show it as a program. It showed all my others.So I made no progress.
If we can get rid of the supposed downloading program (new edition) I'll move to something more modern, or better.
More suggestions ??

#4 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

hi, its been many years since i used realplayer ,didn't realize people still used it ,it was consider malware by some people or scanning programs way back when .
did you try reinstalling it to see if it changes , have you ever tried VLT player as an alternative to real player ,its my choice of one of 2 player i have been using for a few years now .
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Will this videolan VLC play videos on YouTube?

#5 nosmiley

nosmiley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

Many of my saved videos are from You tube. Most were saved by using Realplayer because of the simplicity of using it, as I mentioned above. I have saved using You Tube downloader, as well as a few by using VLC. My current edition of VLC will play You tube saved dvd's fine. At the time, I don't remember VLC being as easy to use for me, as a downloader. This may all have changed. Since the Realplayer was good for me until a few days ago, I never checked into the features of the latest downloaders, which is something I need to do.

#6 JTB

JTB

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

I have the same problem with Real Player. I had Real Player 15 and it was working fine. Then I got an alert to upgrade to RP 16. I did this and then nothing worked. I couldn't download.I couldn't play existing videos. Real Player locked up. I was able to use "control, alt, delete" to open up task manager and then end the real player application, to get my pc working. I have windows 7, 64 bit OS. Real player 16 is not compatible with 64 bit OS. Apparently, you have to somehow get your browser in 32 bit mode to download videos. I haven't figured out how to do what is necessary. I uninstalled RP 16 and reinstalled RP 15. But, now I can't download videos, but I can play existing videos. I am using Google Chrome. Apparently, you have to disable pepperflash in Chrome extensions to make the RP "download this video" button work. I did that but it still doesn't work.
I kind of quit working on this because I am about to max out on my internet usage. I have to wait until my usage resets. I think the next step is to consult with tech support at Real Player.

#7 JTB

JTB

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

I made some progress on the issue of Real Player not working. If you go to www.real.com and click on support, you get a list of problem topics. The first one you want is "Uninstall and reinstall Real Player from a PC". Follow the instructions. The install on Real Player automatically gives you 16.0.I was able to get 16 to download and save videos to my Library, but I could not get 16 to play them. Play would only play the audio and then Real Player would lock up. The videos were, however, downloaded properly because I could play them when I went back to RP 15. I used IE 9 to download because the Real Player webpage had more instructions for IE. There is an issue with IE in that you have to use IE 32-bit if your operating system is 64 bit, which mine is. There are instructions in the various topics on the webpage on this issue. If you open IE and click on help/about Internet Explorer, it will show the version (if 64 bit, it will show 64 bit; if 32 bit, nothing shows on the version line. Because I could not play videos with Real Player 16, I uninstalled 16 and went back to www.real.com. Click on support and look for "Earlier versions of Real Player". I selected Real Player 15 and downloaded and installed it. You also want to print and look at the topic "Download this Video Option does not appear". This is a 5 page set of instructions which was very helpful. Now I can download and play with Real Player 15. This is where I started before responding to the alert to update to RP 16.

Good Luck

JTB

#8 redbird777

redbird777

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

real player download box appears on top of all videos when I click it, the real downloader box appears in the taskbar, when I click on it - it will not open up for me to see what is recording. However when I open real player I see where the video DID get recorded. So why will the downloader box not open up at the time of recording? Have firefox and IE9 - it's the same on both.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users