Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What does it mean and do? Update kb2761494

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

After reading the information on the microsoft support website for this 1.11 driver framework update kb2761494, I still do not know what it means. What does it do and why is it needed? The computer works. What is wrong with the computer that this update will fix? The importance on the MS Update program on the computer says, "Recommended".

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

NET Framework 1.1 is the oldest active version of MS.NET and most systems do not have it installed or need it. NET Framework 2.0 may also include 1.0 or 1.1 components.

Simply put, if you have 1.1 installed, you need any critical updates to it for security purposes.

As for understanding what an update does...most of us don't "understand" many things about our systems...I don't know why that would be a concern. It's what we do understand...that sllows us to use them for our enjoyment and other purposes.

Louis

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:47 AM

The name in the Windows Update list was not "NET Framework", but "1.11 driver Framework". To my knowledge, I never took any such "NET Framework 1.11" on the Vista machine. To best I know, none of the program (very few) which I installed are old and none would use any such old NET Framework (just my guess). The computer was bought new in middle of year 2008. The only few programs installed since the buy date are PDF-Xchange Viewer, PenPad driver, Norton 360, Jarte word processor, and Corel Office(a few weeks ago). Any other suggestions or ideas for understanding the update kb2761494?

#4 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

Cumulative Windows Driver Framework version 1.11 update for Windows Vista and for Windows Server 2008 Posted Image

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

The Windows Update program on another laptop computer with Windows Vista also showed the same update as available. Because of this, I accepted the kb2761494 on both of these computers. Not sure what to expect from this, but done. (Keithuk, I did not yet read the site you referenced).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users