Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External mail server not resolving

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ricks_Thrall

Ricks_Thrall

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

Hey people,

This is my first post here, i will try to explain the problem i have as best i can.

I have recently setup a new server for a company, now everything works as intended, It is a 2008r2 Install running ADDS, DNS, DHCP and Remote services (all they use it for is thier Point of sale program)

Now after installing they can no longer see thier mail server (which is hosted offsite with a hosting company), i can ping it from anywhere else i try except from thier main office.

the domain on the server is the same as thier mail server name. so their domain is formatted as such "ABCD.com.au" and thier main server name is "mail.ABCD.com.au"

I think that when the computers are trying to get to thier mail domain it is hitting the servers DNS and the server isnt pushing it to the net where thier mail is but keeping it to itself and basically saying "this doesnt exsist here"

Does anyone know how i can tell the server that its supposed to push it to the net and not look internally ?

Hope soome of this made sense. if not post and i will try to clear up anything!

Thanks in advanced peoples.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ricks_Thrall

Ricks_Thrall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

Never mind, fixed it.

For anyone with this issue, had to creat an A record to point it to the correct external IP instead of looking internall on its own domain

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

The A record is required for the external address. There should also be an MX record which is used specifically for mail servers to designate the FQDN.

Edit: for correctness

Edited by Baltboy, 06 January 2013 - 07:07 PM.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users