Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this a reliable drive to use?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 metallica784

metallica784

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

I was wondering if this SSD was reliable for operating systems. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227812 I wanted to put my operating system on one but was unsure on which to buy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

"Reliable" is somewhat meaningless...when one tries to apply it to components that are subject to problems at any point in time, for a variety of reasons.

It has a 3-year warranty, if that's what "reliable" means to you.

If you interpret "reliable" as "nothing will ever go wrong with it"...I don't think that interpretation will apply to very much in the process of living.

This is the way I approach SSDs: New technology, somewhat related to RAM. Chances are that an SSD produced by a known manufacturer of "quality RAM"...is very likely to work satisfactorily, barring any abuse by owner/user.

The rest is user preference. I bought a Corsair SSD for my first...so my second and third have been more recent models by Corsair. If I had bought an OCZ SSD first and not had problems with it...I'd now own 3 OCZ SSDs. I don't pay much attention to disparaging comments about quality by a given manufacturer...because that can happen to anyone, at any time...and as long as corrective action is taken, I see no reason to put the manufacturer on a cross forever.

In general...I consider SSDs "more reliable" than current/past IDE/PATA drives...but I think those are pretty reliable, as long as the user doesn't ignore signs that a problem may be developing. I don't expect them to be perfect and I'm satisfied with the level of performance they give me.

I will add...that between the PSU and the PATA hard drive...users will find the system components that are most likely to fail, IMO. There may be a correlation...in that those two components are probably asked to do so much that is crucial to the system.

Louis

#3 metallica784

metallica784
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

English please?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users