Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet cable works fine, unless in wireless router

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xavndr

xavndr

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

My landlords run a cable from the upstairs for comcast internet. I've tried to see their set up, but just not happening.
We had a d link router and worked fine with DSL, when we switch over to comcast we would get intermittent or no connectivilty. it seems to happen at predictable times. Once or twice we conntected directly to computer/tv and worked better with once not working. We got a new Netgear wirless router and again intermittent issues, but works great directly plugged in. the comacast modem was replaced.
Any ideas?

PC windows XP
net gear N300 2000v3

Edited by xavndr, 11 December 2012 - 03:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,098 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

What is happening is they have a router and you are trying to connect a router to it. I would just use a switch instead unless you need wireless too.

The other option is to try this.
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1080

This example assumes that another router is the main router on your network providing Internet access for your computers. It also assumes that another device is your network's DHCP server that's usually the other router or a process on a local server. These instructions work for all NETGEAR wireless routers.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

Feb., March 48.0

#3 xavndr

xavndr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

what is your opinion of an ethernet splitter?

Edited by xavndr, 11 December 2012 - 04:52 PM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,098 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

If you mean like a Y cable, then no. It has to have electronics in it. Why not configure your router or get a switch?

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

Feb., March 48.0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users