Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PDF to word conversion (failed) converted all computer files (?)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Barefoot2

Barefoot2

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

First, let me say I was an idiot for even thinking I should attempt this, given my computer skills. (Edited for clarity of the past tense, ...what I did, rather than the attempt to fix it now.)

I had a pdf file that I wanted to be able to use and print, rather than have to fill it out by hand. (It was a form for my bio lab subjects, needed for final submission.) I found a (free) conversion tool online, and ran the file through it. It didn't turn out a functional word document, but rather a bunch of "gibberish". So, I took the time to recreate the overall pdf page using word tools, and used it instead.

Sometime later, I went to open a file that I had on my laptop, and realized that I had the same gibberish that I was presented with in that conversion attempt. After perusing my files, I realized that I no longer had any pdf icons in my files, but rather a "modified" looking word icon, which I figured was in place in any location that had originally housed a pdf file. Of course, now they are all useless to me. It also appears that I can't download pdf files anymore without it trying to convert them in the same format.

Can anyone tell me what I can do about this? I tried to go through system restore, and unless I just didn't go back far enough, it didn't work. So I thought that I should ask for advice before I try to do anything else.

ETA, I am using the 2010 office suite with Windows 7

Edited by Barefoot2, 09 December 2012 - 10:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:24 AM

Can you right click one of these files and select "Open with?" If you can, select your PDF viewer (Adobe,Foxit, Nitro, or whatever it is) and see if it opens the file correctly. Since this problem affects all your PDF files, it almost seems like the file association for PDFs has been somehow changed.

#3 Barefoot2

Barefoot2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

Thank you!!!! That fixed it.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 32,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:18 AM

Thank you for letting us know. I'm glad the problem is resolved.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SuperAntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 wantei

wantei

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

If you want to convert documents to PDF use Universal Document Converter. Its the best imho.

Edited by wantei, 28 February 2013 - 12:16 PM.

#6 thebirdman

thebirdman

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:47 AM

well cant you get the original form back? btw ive filled out a form recently in pdf and it already provides the spaces to write on your computer..

thats kind of the point of a form :/

anyways not sure what yuo can do about it, but i suggest not converting pdf to word unless you want to copy paste some text like i do from time to time ( http://pdftoword.pro/ )

but yeah normal pdf to word converters only convert plain text

#7 Abigail111

Abigail111

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:59 PM

Sorry to hear that you had a bad pdf convertor.You should change a pdf convertor to solve your problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users