Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading processor from intel pentium dual core t2310 1.46 GHz to some greater

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 chriscarlyle

chriscarlyle

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:02 AM

I am trying to figure out what processor is compatible with my motherboard in my HP Pavilion dv6628us notebook. I've read the manual and looked on HP's PartSurfer. PartSurfer listed a number of them from 1.46 GHz to 2.4 GHz. I purchased an intel duo processor 2.4GHz that did not work. Now I'm trying to figure out if that processor wasn't compatible or if it is just faulty. If it is not faulty or compatible, I need to know what is compatiable so I can purchase it tonight and have it shipped by Wednesday because I am going through serious withdrawals without my computer. Help me please.

Edited by chriscarlyle, 09 December 2012 - 02:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chriscarlyle

chriscarlyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

It's sad that I can't get no one to help me with something I thought was very easy. :(

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

It's sad that I can't get no one to help me with something I thought was very easy. :(

Well, its NOT easy.

OK, Your current CPU is a 533 FSB CPU? Your replacement is an 800 FSB CPU? Does your motherboard/chipset/BIOS support your new CPU? Does your motherboard have the memory dividers to run 533 memory at an 800 FSB speed? Just because both CPUs are PPGA478 don't mean they will swap out.

Long story short, I don't know what CPU will work on your system. I did find out looking around at motherboard replacements that the GM965 chipset should support an 800 FSB CPU.....and it has the memory dividers to handle 533-667 mhz DDR2. First thing I would do is put it back together (with old CPU) enough to figure out what BIOS revision is in it, and figure out if there are any BIOS flashes that support the CPU you want to run.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 chriscarlyle

chriscarlyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:43 AM

Well, its NOT easy.

OK, Your current CPU is a 533 FSB CPU? Your replacement is an 800 FSB CPU? Does your motherboard/chipset/BIOS support your new CPU? Does your motherboard have the memory dividers to run 533 memory at an 800 FSB speed? Just because both CPUs are PPGA478 don't mean they will swap out.

Long story short, I don't know what CPU will work on your system. I did find out looking around at motherboard replacements that the GM965 chipset should support an 800 FSB CPU.....and it has the memory dividers to handle 533-667 mhz DDR2. First thing I would do is put it back together (with old CPU) enough to figure out what BIOS revision is in it, and figure out if there are any BIOS flashes that support the CPU you want to run.

Thank you so much for responding. I posted my specs. Yes, my current CPU is 533MHz FBS. My current replacement is 1066MHz FBS. My BIOS version is F.46. I updated my computer from vista to windows 7. Hp didn't have updates available for Windows 7 on the support page for my laptop so I had to install the one they had for Vista. Should I have updated my BIOS from a laptop's support page that had an update for Windows 7 such as this one below:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-98494-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4062&product=4041708&sw_lang=

here is mine:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=2093&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3552674

* the new processor I ordered specs are Intel Core Duo processor - 2.4GHz (Penryn, 1066MHz front side bus, 3MB Level-2 cache per core, 35 nm process technology)

ETA: I got the wrong processor. I got 1066MHz instead of 800MHz.

Edited by chriscarlyle, 10 December 2012 - 02:39 AM.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

I would have stuck with the ones listed by model on parts surfer.
For example T7100, T7500, T8100, 2.4GHz (Penryn, 800MHz front side bus, 3MB Level-2 cache per core, 35 nm, 2.0GHz (Merom, 667MHz front side bus, 2MB Level-2 cache, you know those should work. Anything not on that list is unlikely to work.

You may also have to upgrade the BIOS which can kill the motherboard if done wrong.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

111 @ October 19

#6 chriscarlyle

chriscarlyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

I would have stuck with the ones listed by model on parts surfer.
For example T7100, T7500, T8100, 2.4GHz (Penryn, 800MHz front side bus, 3MB Level-2 cache per core, 35 nm, 2.0GHz (Merom, 667MHz front side bus, 2MB Level-2 cache, you know those should work. Anything not on that list is unlikely to work.

You may also have to upgrade the BIOS which can kill the motherboard if done wrong.

Roger

I am going with one of those; albeit it's confusing because the manual has different processors from parts surfer so it's confusing. But I guess parts surfer lists the processor available after the manual was printed. I made the mistake of ordering 2.4 GHz with 1066Mhz I'm assuming that's why it didn't work. I can't update my BIOS beyond what's listed for my dv6628us notebook. The last update was posted in 2010 for my Qaunta 446477-001 motherboard. If you have any suggest on how to update beyond that, feel free to let me know. Thank you.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,650 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

The one you ordered did not work for several reasons. The Bios has to recognize it. That is why you need to stay with the HP list, They wrote the BIOS. The wrong FSB, Possibly the wrong voltage supplied to it, etc.

The latest BIOS is the latest BIOS. It has to come from HP so if you have the latest that is all there is.

Do not go by Speed of the CPU and FSB.

The CPU has to match, for example since it lists a T8100 a T8100 will work, A different processor with the same Ghz and FSB will not work.

it shows a Penryn, 800MHz front side bus, 3MB Level-2 cache per core will work anything else with that speed and specs is unlikely to work.

This is what makes upgrading a laptop tough.

If you could find this one it would work. For example this listing from ebay gives some for sale.

This one came up when I searched for the penryn 2.4Ghz, However I question why it didn't show as a T8300 in the HP list of what will work.

Please Note: I do not buy from ebay and do not know if these sellers are good or bad.

The Passmark CPU benchmark shows the T8100 at 1332 and the T8300 at 1524
A T2310 (533 FSB) Shows as 771 and a T230 shows as 791. Notice that the higher the Txxxx number the faster.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 12 December 2012 - 10:08 AM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

111 @ October 19

#8 Wooshie

Wooshie

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:24 AM

Anything up to a t7800 is guaranteed to work. I have done this upgrade for quite a few customers. SOME will accept the penryn 45nm 800fsb chips. I have found that the late model boards with the revised nvidia chipset (that replaced the known defective video issue) support up to a t9500. Hope this helps. Useful information here also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_2_microprocessors

#9 chriscarlyle

chriscarlyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

I installed the processor I wanted and it works. Thank you so much, Rotor123. I went to so many places and never got an answer. Thank you. :)

Where were you when I needed you Wooshie? Regardless, thank you as well.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,650 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

Glad to hear off your success.

Best wishes for the New Year
Roger

111 @ October 19

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users