Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Videos Won't Play in Firefox

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Ubiq

Ubiq

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

Hi!

I'm not sure if I should be posting this here. I apologize if its in the wrong thread.

All semester I have been having problems with online videos not playing properly in Firefox. However, I temporarily resolved this by installing an older version of Flash. Yesterday, that stopped working also so I figured it was time to try the newest Flash version and hope that FireFox had resolved the issue over the last few months. It hasn't. Videos won't play at all on Hulu or YouTube or on my school's site. Oddly, I now can't get Photobucket to load properly either. It won't display the pic info like 'direct link' 'IMG Code', etc. Pics of all these are below.
I really like Firefox otherwise and I want to keep using it. I tried reinstalling it and I disabled ad ons and no go. Does anyone have any idea what I should try next?

One other thing:
When I was updating Flash I got this message saying I had to close a "Veoh Player" before I could finish my install. In task manager I had a "Veoh Accelorator" process but no application running. I closed the process and the install finished. Is this process (whatever it is) part of my problem?

Thank you for reading! I really appreciate any help anyone can offer me! :heart:

This is what videos have been looking like for me all semester. A problem which the old Flash version resolved temporarily:

Posted Image

After reinstalling Flash yesterday, videos look like this:

Posted Image

Photobucket not displaying copyable info looks like this:

Posted Image

Edited by Ubiq, 08 December 2012 - 03:45 PM.

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, OS: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit,
CPU: Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53GHz Arrandale 32nm Technology,
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics Revision 2 1720 MBytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

Since you're at school, I would guess there are restrictions regarding what you can and can't do on your computer. This might include what browser you can use and some sites may be blocked. You need to look into that. Our experience at BC is most schools do have restrictions.

#3 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

Hey frankp316! Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I have taken my laptop by the school tech guys but they just seemed confused and then dismissive. FireFox is actually the browser they recommended I use. When they saw my problem their solution was to rent a laptop from the library when I needed to watch videos for my class. It's all very frustrating really.

I'm hoping I can get this laptop sorted over break so I don't have this problem next semester. Of course, that was my goal for the end of this semester and we can see how far I've gotten trying to fix it on my own. :( I really thought if I reinstalled all these programs everything would work.
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:15 AM

My suggestion is if you are being treated dismissively, go over their heads. Talk to a supervisor. I guarantee there are restrictions. You need to find out what they are.

#5 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

Yes, I probably do need to go back to there. Regrettably, I don't think that will really help me here because NCSU doesn't have any software operating on my pc. :(
NCSU has a website (very clunky and slow) that I have to sign in to in order to register for classes and access online materials for my classes. This is the only interaction my school has with my laptop. So yes, I couldn't upload NSFW materials onto a class message board through that site but that has no bearing on videos I might want to watch on YouTube. Also, I live off campus so I'm not going through NCSU servers or anything like that. Possibly the laptops for rent at the library have restrictions on what videos can be watched but on those all the software is provided by the university.

Key and Peele is the naughtiest thing I've been trying to watch anyway! :lol:
My Hindi teacher has a YouTube channel where she has skits and dialogs that I have to translate, etc. This channel is not connected in any way to the university site and the university is fine with that. NCSU isn't blocking her YouTube channel. She has even played them in class. These videos play just fine on the library laptops.

The crux of my problem is that no videos will now play in FireFox since I have updated to the latest Flash version. So, I have issues with Silverlight in Chrome and Explorer and issues with Flash in FireFox. This means I have a difficult time watching any videos at all.

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

Who said anything about software? You're on THEIR network. Of course there are restrictions. Find out what they are.

#7 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:02 PM

No, I don't think you understand. I'm not on their network. Not at all.

#8 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:59 AM

Are you on their property?

#9 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

No, I'm off campus.

#10 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:03 PM

Then what does the school have to do with your internet connection? When you mention them in the first place, it's fair to assume that you are on campus and subject to their rules. If that's not the case and you're having Flash issues with all browsers, then the problem is likely with your security or firewall settings.

#11 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

Then what does the school have to do with your internet connection? If that's not the case and you're having Flash issues with all browsers, then the problem is likely with your security or firewall settings.

Well thank you. When I was describing my problem I was being very specific about when the problem occurred. My first post lists those instances clearly.

When you mention them in the first place, it's fair to assume that you are on campus and subject to their rules.

If it wasn't somehow clear in my first post that FireFox and Flash are my problem, then certainly it was clear in my third post. I'm sorry if it was confusing but I stand by my post and I think it's perfectly clear: when I am having a problem, how long I have been experiencing this problem and what I have done to try and resolve it. I had to mention school in order to do that and if I had been on their network I would have stated that.

This issue is about FireFox not playing well with Flash. I have included screenshots that clearly show the youtube and photobucket problems I am having with the most current versions of Flash and FireFox.
I hope that someone with knowledge of these two programs will be able to recognize the compatibility issue I am experiencing.

#12 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

Get rid of Veoh. They are out of business.

#13 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

Yes, I'm trying but the uninstall didn't seem to work completely.

I uninstalled Veoh using Windows uninstall programs and now there is no Veoh listed in All Programs yet there is a Veoh Web Player icon on the right side of the taskbar beside the time(Action Center?). 
There is also a Veoh Web Player.exe *32 process running in Task Manager.  I got no idea how to proceed with that issue. :unsure:

I would post a pic for you but I can't click on anything in photobucket right now as Chrome has more than 15 of those .exe *32 processes running.  :blink:
I need to reinstall Chrome as well I guess. My fan is running so loudly right now and the keyboard feels quite warm. This laptop just isn't cut out for these kinds of shenanigans.

#14 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:24 AM

You might want to try Revo Uninstaller. A lot of us use it.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Edited by frankp316, 11 December 2012 - 06:24 AM.

#15 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

Revo is the business! :cool:
Now I just have to fix this FireFox problem. I'm trying to get used to Chrome but it uses so much memory and there are an ungodly amount of ads on the internet. I can't even use Photobucket because there's a huge dog food ad on it that won't stop playing and crashes Chrome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users