Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search Engine Hijack?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 mickih72

mickih72

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:19 AM

Hi,
For a while now I have been having issues with using Google/Yahoo search engines to look up something and it redirects me to a different search engine without any information about what it was that I had been looking up. I have run scans with Trend Micro and Malwarebytes and it seems to have no resolve. Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

--Micki.

Edited by hamluis, 09 December 2012 - 09:05 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,962 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

Have you tried...removing various browser add-ons...and checking the search engines specified in your browser settings?

Louis

#3 mickih72

mickih72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

Yes I have. I even went to my control panel to remove it. According to the control panel, I have. I need to revise What I have said previously. After I have searched, for example 'cats', after Google provides me links, if I were to click on one of them something directs me to something completely different thats not even a website. Its not just with Google, its also with other other search engines as well.

#4 zagg

zagg

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

I am currently looking for an answer to the same issue. Google search displays results, I click on result, it directs me to "newsbusters.org" in the address, but it displays a white screen. I have run spybot and it showed two problems, and it worked fine for 3 or 4 searches. Now it is back.

#5 ahscotty

ahscotty

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

I am currently looking for an answer to the same issue. Google search displays results, I click on result, it directs me to "newsbusters.org" in the address, but it displays a white screen. I have run spybot and it showed two problems, and it worked fine for 3 or 4 searches. Now it is back.

Hi ,i am getting this redirection too ("newsbusters.org") with firefox ,also it redirects to "livesearch.com" sometimes.The "Windows Security Center Service" Also will not start, this started happening at the same time as the redirections, which was yesterday after i stupidly opened a zip file that was titled "search_tool" apparently from google.com.au. I have reinstalled AVG 2013 and run a scan,no results. Installed Malwarebytes and scanned but no results. Installed Super Anti-Spyware and scanned,no result. Have run TDSS killer ,still no change. Tried changing a host file ,but that did not help. I have downloaded combifix but i will not run it ,only under advice from somebody knowledgeable !
Will somebody please take the time to help me fix these problems, any help would be greatly appreciated !
Kind Regards ,ahscotty.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 61,956 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

Hello all,we need to run these to get some info and logs.

MiniToolBox
Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run. Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.Link 1
Link 2
  • Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
  • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.
Do not reboot the computer, you will need to run the application again.

>>>>

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Posted Image and save it to your desktop.
  • Important!! When you save the mbam-setup file, rename it to something random (such as 123abc.exe) before beginning the download.
Malwarebytes may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.

• Make sure you are connected to the Internet and double-click on the renamed file to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • Malwarebytes will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button and continue.
  • If you cannot update Malwarebytes or use the Internet to download any files to the infected computer, manually update the database by following the instructions in FAQ Section A: 4. Issues.
  • Under the Scanner tab, make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then click the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked and then click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows the database version and your operating system.
  • Exit Malwarebytes when done.
Note: If Malwarebytes encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally will prevent Malwarebytes from removing all the malware.

-- Some types of malware will target Malwarebytes and other security tools to keep them from running properly. If that's the case, use Malwarebytes Chameleon and follow the onscreen instructions. The Chameleon folder can be accessed by opening the program folder for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (normally C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware or C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware).

>>>>>
Please Download TDSSkiller
Launch it.
Click on change parameters-Select TDLFS file system
Click on "Scan".
Please post the LOG report(log file should be in your C drive)

Do not change the default options on scan results.

>>>>
I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan
  • Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Posted Image
      icon on your desktop.
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.

NOTE:Sometimes if ESET finds no infections it will not create a log.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

#7 zagg

zagg

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

Hey 'Boopme', I noticed that I was supposed to go through the proper channels for trouble shooting, so I posted in a help forum here and 'Gringo' is guiding me through the log display process using AdwCleaner, and RogueKiller. Thanks so much for your prompt response, I appreciate it!

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 61,956 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

Thanks, as you are being helped there I will close this.

Everyone else in thos topic,,,,,
if you need heed start a new,individual,topic here in Am I Infected and run the tools in post 6.

Edited by boopme, 17 December 2012 - 08:16 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users