Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CCleaner

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Nancy9108

Nancy9108

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:07 PM

After a long session to get rid of a rootkit (finally did thanks to Gringo_pr) I was advised to keep CCleaner on my computer. I have obtained a new computer but I have no idea what places I should check mark. Also, do I check mark to have it clean the registry? I need advice on this program. I used to use System Mechanic Pro, but it looked like it was causing my old computer major problems. I remember Grinco_pr saying don't have any program on the computer that will change the registry. Could someone please help advise me on this?
I would be very grateful. Thank you. Nancy9108

Edited by hamluis, 28 December 2012 - 12:35 PM.
Merged topics - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 5,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

Hi Nancy... The registry option for Ccleaner can be left alone or not advisable to be used no matter how high it is reported to be safe. You can uncheck the following options and leave the other boxes for better browsing experience.

Leave this options checkmarked which means the other boxes are not :
Internet Explorer and other browsers

Temporary Internet Files
Index.dat
Last Download Action

Windows Explorer

All with Checkmarks or default

System

Empty the recycle bin
Temporary Files
Clipboard

The remaining boxes under Application will be checkmarked also or by default.

Edited by jhayz, 06 December 2012 - 07:28 PM.

Tekken

#3 marko016

marko016

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

You have Iolo System Mechanic free, this year release. It have tons of options so might help you. PC tools registry mechanic is also good product.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 27,038 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown

Posted Image

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." — Douglas Adams.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." — Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

For some strange reason, CCleaner gets a lot of bad press in this forum. I have to wonder if the critics have actually used it. The registry cleaner in CCleaner is just about totally useless, not because it deletes unnecessary stuff, it finds so little to delete. It wouldn't say boo to a goose. On my PC, 0-6 items per scan. Mostly MUI Cache stuff. The registry cleaner is only a small portion of what CCleaner does. I run the registry cleaner manually. It's unwise to run any registry utility on auto.

You have to be selective about what you do. In the Windows section I only have 11 items checked. I include a number of programs in the Applications tab. The cookie cutter is great - you can put the cookies you want in a Keep list. All others get deleted if you have checked the boxes for cookies for browsers and email clients and then run CCleaner.

Initially you should run manually to see what it finds in the Analysis. Backup any registry changes when prompted when running the cleaner. It's handy creating a shortcut with the /auto switch, "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\ccleaner.exe" /auto because then it runs in the background. You can run it any time normally to Analyse/Run Cleaner.

I've used CCleaner for years without a single issue. The registry cleaner utility I've run 154 times since 2005 (which I know because I have 154 .reg backups).

I'm not sure it will help with future rootkit issues though!

Edit: There is no setting that I am aware of in CCleaner where there is a checkbox which would run the registry cleaner. The registry cleaner is purely manual. Nancy9108, are you getting confused with the Regedit box in Applications/Windows? All that does is clean the recently used list of Regedit. I assume (and am guessing) that if you bookmark in Regedit and a bookmarked key no longer exists, it would remove the bookmark.

Edited by Nanobyte, 10 December 2012 - 02:05 AM.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,072 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

For some strange reason, CCleaner gets a lot of bad press in this forum.

Not CCleaner in particular, but registry "cleaners" in general. CCleaner's other tools are very good.

x.png
Boredom Software Stop Highlighting Things

#7 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:59 AM

You have Iolo System Mechanic free, this year release. It have tons of options so might help you. PC tools registry mechanic is also good product.

Only if you are an experienced user,REGISTRY CLEANERS ARE NOT FOR BEGGINERS! (They can be quite aggrasive and the majority of ppl would just blindly delete what it finds w/o checking first (Not thier fault,they simply dont know))

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 61,658 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

Only if you are an experienced user,REGISTRY CLEANERS ARE NOT FOR BEGGINERS! (They can be quite aggrasive and the majority of ppl would just blindly delete what it finds w/o checking first (Not thier fault,they simply dont know))

EDIT; see post 4
How do I get help? Who is helping me?
Staying Updated Calendar of Updates.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook Have you seen..Select Real Security

#9 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:03 AM

I can testify that registry tools are dangerous to use, from both personal experience editing the registry and free tools out there that search for and fix registry "errors." Please, unless you're prepared to learn about the registry and research each "error" found, you should avoid them.

I am not a ranking expert, but perhaps this will help. If you're uncertain what a particular option does, please post about it here. Here are the options I have checked in CCleaner:
Windows Tab
Internet Explorer:
  • I don't clean the Recently Typed URLs because it helps me to locate websites I want to visit again but didn't bookmark. (getting too forgetful) However, there's no harm in cleaning it. The same can be said for Last Download Location, Autocomplete Form History (if you don't want things to be filled in automatically!) and Saved Passwords.
  • Temporary Internet Files
  • History
  • Cookies
Windows Explorer:
  • I don't checkmark Recent Documents because I find it handy to find things, but it is a good idea to clean it up from time to time. I'm not on a Network, so I don't bother with the Network Passwords.
  • Run (in Start Menu)
  • Search Autocomplete
  • Other Explorer MRUs
  • Thumbnail Cache
  • Taskbar Jump List
System:
  • Empty Recycle Bin
  • Temporary Files
  • Clipboard
  • Memory Dumps
  • Chkdsk File Fragments
  • Windows Log Files
  • Windows Error Reporting
Applications Tab
Firefox/Mozilla:
I only check the following, but you could certainly check them all.
  • Internet Cache
  • Cookies
  • Session
  • Compact Databases
Safari
  • Internet Cache
  • Cookies
Google Chrome
  • Internet Cache
  • Cookies
  • Session
  • Compact Databases

All other sections after the browsers are dependent on what you have on your computer and which programs you want cleaned up.

I hope this helped.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

#10 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

I would seriously not recommend either of those programs.

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 61,658 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

I would seriously not recommend either of those programs.

I truly hope the the Antivirus Lab avatar for marko is not this one
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivirus-lab-2009
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....

#12 Alex-C

Alex-C

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

Ccleaner is great to perform a general maintenance: clean temporary files, check startup entries, uninstall un-needed programs, remove old restore points...

#13 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

I looked @ it 1 time and didnt like it,i use regseeker :) (1.45)

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 61,658 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

I looked @ it 1 time and didnt like it,i use regseeker :) (1.45)

Once again 4dude SEE POST 4 above

#15 Nancy9108

Nancy9108
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

Upon the suggestion of Gringo_pr I installed CCleaner basic. After getting a new computer I thought I should have the CCleaner Pro. The problem I have had since 12/16 is that I can not get it to register or update. A piriform support person has now exceeded 40 messages of things to try. To no avail I still get a message of "Ox2efd: A connection with the server could not be established." They state that the subscription is not activated because of this ongoing error. I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling,using 5 Hostsxpert.exe to restore microsoft default host file, (have no idea what that is but I did it) cleared the internet SSL cache, added it as a trusted website, unchecked automatically detect Lan settings amongst other things.

I have windows 7 and using Avast security system and malwarebytes.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what to do? Do I continue to work with CCleaner PRO and try to get it to work, go back to CCleaner basic or go to a different program? Since I have this new machine I am trying extremely hard to keep it cleaned, up to date and rootkit trojan free (which is what Gringo_pr helped me with last time)

Anyone to help me? Thank you again.

Nancy9108

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users