Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix, Registry key marked for deletion

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rvparks

rvparks

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

Begging for help! This is also my first blog/topic of any kind, ever. I found a link to combofix, with instructions to only use it from your site. Very responsible of them, but the link bypassed all your warnings not to do it alone. Combofix did its thing, then I managed to restore my internet connection. The connection itself is there, and my icons are there, but I cant get online or do anything else. Nearly ALL my program icons say "Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion."

The past week or so I had the redirect/ad coupon drop virus. I downloaded the 2013 AVG free protection to start, then my Google didn't work. I tried to uninstall AVG, but it didn't fix it, and then I couldn't turn Windows Defender back on. I tried a few malware scans recommended on your site, but they didn't find anything. I finally restored the whole thing back a week or so, then it worked fine.

Till last night when it suddenly kept saying Internet Explorer has stopped working, repeatedly popping that tab up as soon as I would try to close it. It wouldn't even let me Ctl-alt-del to get out of it. Today it would work for a few minutes on Yahoo, then start acting up again (virus-like, not wifi problems.) So I got out my old laptop and found a blog with links to you. I had a moment on the ill computer when it actually let me on, so I went right to the Combofix link and downloaded. Now nothing works, and I have seen all your warnings too late. I have the log saved on that computer, but its also under an "Illegal Operation" key.
HELP! What do I do?

PS, I just found out I can get online through the Windows online help page, but my IE and other icons still dont work.

Edited by rvparks, 06 December 2012 - 03:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

Have you read thru this http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic273628.html

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#3 rvparks

rvparks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

yes, thanks. That's why i'll be waiting for informed advice before touching that computer again. I don't want to make it worse, if that's even possible.

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,504 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

Hello,

Reboot your computer again, and the problem with your programs should be resolved. Please let us know if you have further issues.

Thanks,

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#5 rvparks

rvparks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

THATS IT?! It worked, thank you so much! I was afraid to try that yesterday that it wouldn't come back at all. Thank you for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users