Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Booting problems on an old XP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 346 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:12 AM

It started with all of the browsers being unable to access many websites, and running a virus scan would bluescreen the computer. Eventually the computer would boot to desktop and shut off. Now when we boot, it stays on the loading screen forever. All of these symptoms exist in both normal boot and safe mode.

That's not the weird part though. I tried running a Hiren's BootCD off of a flash drive, and it works when the hard drive is unplugged (I unplugged it because my bios was being stubborn and not letting me get into it for a while) but when I have the hardrive in, POST shows the flash drive having a "disk error" and I cannot boot to it. I would try booting to the flash drive and plugging in the hard drive after (it's standard SATA) but I don't want to risk killing myself. ^_^

Any ideas?

Edited by hamluis, 06 December 2012 - 12:22 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

If I'm posting, I probably have something horribly wrong with my computer, there's no obvious explanation for it, that's just the way it is.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 40,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:34 AM

I'd say that chances are good that your hard drive is failing...but I'm nertainly in no position to assert that this is the problem.

FWIW: IMO...booting a system and then attaching an internal hard drive...is a very bad idea.

I suggest that you run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic (long test, not short) on the drive. Such are avaailable for download, with instructions, at the website of the respective hard drive manufacturer.

The fact that the system had problems when you attempted to scan for malware...may point to a malware problem, rather than a hard drive problem.

I would check the functionality of the hard drive first...because it's easy and can be done by users. If the drive passes, then I would tend to explore the malware possibility.

Louis

#3 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 346 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

That's part of the reason I was trying to get into Hiren's. I don't know how I managed to get screws on the back side of the drive, but I can't seem to get it back out to put into the computer I'm currently on.
If I'm posting, I probably have something horribly wrong with my computer, there's no obvious explanation for it, that's just the way it is.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

Hi

generally speaking the screws on the backside of the drive are normally accessed by taking the other side of the case off.
Some Compaqs the front panel needs to be removed.

However if it is the Dell then this is the service manual Removing and Installing Parts

Dell™ XPS™ 410 Service Manual

Removing a Hard Drive

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

Feb., March 48.0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users