Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway MX6426 - Slow Startup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Divy

Divy

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

Windows XP
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
SP3

Hello,

I just purchased a used laptop from online and already am having a headache. Before I make a complaint to the seller, I was hoping I could fix it.. I have also issues connecting to my wireless network but I'll save that for another topic post.

Slow startup - When I boot the computer, it gets all the way to the blue screen where it has the Windows logo and says "Windows is starting..." or something to that effect. It stays there for five to ten minutes, then loads fine onto the desktop. I have gone into safemode and it was smooth, no Windows blue screen loading waiting.

I have done the following:
Cleaned the computer via Malwarebytes, CCLeaner, Disk Cleaner, Defragment, Add/Remove Most unnecessary programs, System Configuration and disable all startup programs..

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 17,328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy
Please note:  A family emergency occurred on 08/18/2014.  Because of this my time here will be limited until our family member has recovered enough for me to get back to my normal daily routine.  I apologize to those of you who I had been helping, I will try to get back to you as quickly as I can.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 42,611 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

Just return it...purchased products are supposed to work properly initially. Anything other than that leaves you as potentially blameable for whatever might be the problem.

OTOH...it's not uncommon for the autoupdate mechanixm to kick in...either downloading or installing...when a new computer is first booted.

As a test of that...you could disable autoupdates...then check and see if the booting delay occurs.

I see also that you are using XP, which can be slow by nature...it's not unusual for my XP desktop to take 2-3 minutes before the desktop/programs are available.

Are you sure...it takes 5-10 minutes? Most users tend exaggerate the time spent waiting.

In addition to the normal startup delay...you probably have Gateway software loading, which would slightly add to the time.

And...I would not expect an older system...to be as fast or efficient as a newer system might be at boot time.

Louis

#4 Divy

Divy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

Yup I timed it and it was 8 minutes actually. I'm hesitant to return it because besides the slow bootup, it runs great for the price I got it for. (I got wireless to work now).

I'll give it a shot here and if not, I'll return it.

SPECCY:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/zpNRVOEwOix7NLPWMkIXcUm

#5 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 17,328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:35 AM

Having made the changes to the computer that you have I would be surprised if the seller would take it back. Ccleaner has an option to clean the registry, if this isn't done properly it could damage the operating system.

Hamluis has given you good advice, I would follow it.

On a side note, please do not contact me via PMs concerning your topic, this information is made available to other members so that they can contribute or learn from them. If a topic is addressed through PMs it takes the possibility away from other members to participate.
Please note:  A family emergency occurred on 08/18/2014.  Because of this my time here will be limited until our family member has recovered enough for me to get back to my normal daily routine.  I apologize to those of you who I had been helping, I will try to get back to you as quickly as I can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users