Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

volume control applet has stopped working

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:18 PM

What does this mean and what can I do about it?

Volume control applet has stopped working.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: SndVol.exe
Application Version: 6.0.6002.18005
Application Timestamp: 49e02226
Fault Module Name: StackHash_b31f
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000a0f32
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: b31f
Additional Information 2: 08e97ffeff1515932ea506e54ef94837
Additional Information 3: d5ef
Additional Information 4: a690871bec17203e415902dbc6c4bd0b

The system is Windows Vista fully updated. Toshiba Satellite. Intel Core 2 Duo T5550, what else needed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

Run the system file checker (sfc) which should replace any defective files. MS instructions are here. Basically run cmd as administrator, brings up cmd.exe window, enter "sfc /scannow" no quotes, space before the / and then Enter. It will take a few minutes. See if there is any difference.

There may be other workarounds. There could also be something that is corrupting the file. I didn't think Vista used that file.

Edit: Assumed that this occurs every time you reboot, not a one-off crash.

Edited by Nanobyte, 26 November 2012 - 06:46 PM.

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

You could also try reinstalling the audio driver after running file checker.

Tekken

#4 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

You could also try reinstalling the audio driver after running file checker.

jhayz,

I'm not sure what the difference is. Would sfc not reinstall the driver if sfc finds the driver to be bad? How does one reinstall this driver? Doing things to and for/with drivers, I do not know how.

(on the other hand, I do know how to install drivers which come as software-on-Compact Discs, like when I buy equipment or applications which come with installation CD's; but that is different than a computer system which is basically used as it was originally obtained...)

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,161 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

Please post the full computer model or you could go to the Toshiba support site for the audio driver for Vista.

I'm not sure what the difference is. Would sfc not reinstall the driver if sfc finds the driver to be bad?

There are Windows generic drivers and 3rd party drivers from the manufacturing support site.
File Signature
Driver Signing

Tekken

#6 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

Please post the full computer model or you could go to the Toshiba support site for the audio driver for Vista.

I'm not sure what the difference is. Would sfc not reinstall the driver if sfc finds the driver to be bad?

There are Windows generic drivers and 3rd party drivers from the manufacturing support site.
File Signature
Driver Signing

The model information you ask for:
Toshiba Satellite model = p305-s8822

Edited by cafejose, 28 November 2012 - 10:26 PM.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,161 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:48 AM

Toshiba Audio Driver for Vista

Tekken

#8 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:29 AM

Toshiba Audio Driver for Vista

jhayz,

That is an interesting find from Toshiba. I did not know to look in their site nor how to look or what to search for. So there were two suggestions in this thread/topic: SFC Scan and the Driver-Toshiba one. Since the volume on the machine frequently drops and otherwise is not often stable, and there is sometimes a message about "volume control applet" stopping, it is not clear if this is a Toshiba driver problem or a Windows problem. Am I left with nothing better than to try to install the Toshiba driver and the running of SFC scan, not knowing for sure which will really solve the problem, or if either will solve the problem?

Also, that link you gave does not go to just one specific article or driver, but to a page that brings up a large number of articles, depending on combobox selections. I assume the driver you tried to refer me to is the year 2009 sound driver, Conexant Audio Driver, v4.36.10.0, 13.25 MB. ? right?

#9 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

....Am I left with nothing better than to try to install the Toshiba driver and the running of SFC scan, not knowing for sure which will really solve the problem, or if either will solve the problem?.....

Why don't you just do both and see if it cures the issue. Sfc checks that all your system files are OK. Running it will not do any harm. I would run that first. If it does not do the job, reinstall the driver. Get on with it, tempus fugit!!

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,161 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:58 AM

Conexant Audio Driver, v4.36.10.0, 13.25 MB. ?

There are 2 versions of them, 32/64 drivers. Check your Vista system type if its running 32 or 64 bit.

Tekken

#11 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

The problem I had described has ceased, at least for now. I have not yet tried what you've suggested. The stoppage of the problem apparently correlates with the Windows Update (about the 1.11 driver framework) which I wondered about a few days ago, which I had installed about a week ago (which I discussed here, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic478895.html ).

So far, so good. Volume has remained stable as set for at least a week now. YouTubes, fine. Other system and program sounds, fine. In case the problem returns, maybe I'll give a comment then.

Edited by cafejose, 04 January 2013 - 06:47 PM.

#12 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Only comment is that volume is still stable. This must be two weeks by now. The Windows update kb2761494, 1.11 driver framework, seems to have fixed the volume applet volume falling problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users