Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why does my computer display "Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation." when I boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GurnDawg257

GurnDawg257

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:26 PM

I got a new HP today and as soon as I got it home, it boots up and then the error message "Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation." and it wont go beyond that, I click OK and it boots up again with the same message. Please Respond!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Bleep Bleep!

• Admin
  • 40,144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

Do you have any usb devices connected to it or any media inserted such as CDs? If so, disconnect them and try again.

#3 Valark

Valark

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

Do you have any usb devices connected to it or any media inserted such as CDs? If so, disconnect them and try again.

I am experiencing this same issue. Brand new computer, fresh out of the box, never been activated. There are no devices or disks connected to this computer except the keyboard and mouse. I even attempted a fresh boot with the keyboard and mouse disconnected, only to reconnect them when it came time to dismiss the error message again.

Any further advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,917 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

Hi

If you got this message the first time that you turned it on after buying it new then you need to return it. It is not properly setup.

Typically, the first time you run a new Windows 8 computer, it will ask you some questions and show some short tutorials. Then it will start.

The error you got would indicate that the factory OEM image was not properly applied before shipping.

James

#5 Valark

Valark

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

A summary of steps I've gone through for reference.

Pressed F10 before startup initiated to access the HP Setup Utility.
Enabled POST messages in the Advanced menu.
Set POST delay to 5.
Saved changes and exited.
Restarted computer.
Hit ESC on the POST message to access the startup menu.
Selected Run UEFI Application.
Navigated to HDD > EFI > Microsoft > Boot > Bootmgfw.EFI.
Got the "Your PC needs to be repaired" screen, telling me that the computer needs the recovery tools included on installation media (flash drive or disc).

The computer did not come with installation media, so I will be contacting the manufacturer in the morning. I just figured I'd post my experience thus far in case anyone with this issue in the future might find it helpful.

Edited by Valark, 13 January 2013 - 07:46 PM.

#6 jmtjet

jmtjet

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

I bought a new computer from Newegg. On the first boot it went to BSOD. After a couple of calls I RMA'ed it and bought another brand. No problem with the other brand (Dell). A week or two later I got a email of apology from the manufacturer of the first computer. If I were you, I'd take(send)it back for a replacement. These things happen from time to time.

#7 ginmasterjedi

ginmasterjedi

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

i had same issue. I completely cleared tehh BIOS by removig the CMOS battery and moving the CMOS jumper.  Once rebooted, it prompted me into the BIOS menu, I updated the time and date, saved and exited, restarted and everything worked perfectly!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users