Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Company Review: Sonic.net

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

Company: Sonic.net
Services: Broadband (DSL) internet, POTS, digital satellite TV (through DirectTV), web hosting and related (email, etc).
Region(s) Serviced: San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA.

Pros:
Reasonably priced
Decent internet speeds
Excellent customer service
Backup dial-up service for DSL customers (but who has a v.92 modem these days?)

Cons:
Availability is spotty in their service region
DSL requires a phone line from the region phone company (AT&T, e.g.)

Discussion:
I switched to Sonic.net from AT&T early this year after reading about them on Ars Technica and after several years of being consistently pissed off at the pseudo-monopoly that AT&T exercises in my neighborhood and $50 a month for 3mbps down. My monthly bill hasn't appreciably changed ($52.06 with all taxes and fees) and my download speeds (12-17mbps) approach the advertised maximum for my service plan (20mbps).

Their call center isn't outsourced, and the technician who installed my service was an actual technician who knew what he was doing/talking about. I've never spent more than 5 minutes on hold, and have only had to call them up once anyway. Compare with the 2 hours I spent on the phone/on hold last week dealing with 3 different AT&T account reps in two departments when the modem in my office died.

Posted Image

x.png
Boredom Software Stop Highlighting Things

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keldron

keldron

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

I am getting 10 mbps ( still better then ATT ) with sonic.net ( att I was getting 2-3 mbps ) and like you said their customer service is spot on .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users