Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual Memory Increase

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ac98521

ac98521

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:21 AM

i am using a computer with

1 GB Ram
2.66HGz Processor
A Core 2 Duo
with
virtual memory of 2046 minimum and 4092 as max
Disk space total is 74.5GB

I am planning to increase the virtual memory. By how much should be the max increase I make? can I set the minimum to 4000 or higher? how about the maximum?

Edited by ac98521, 22 November 2012 - 12:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 5,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:53 AM

Why do you want to change it? The best performance is already the default settings or system managed. Perhaps adding more RAM sticks and a better hard drive would most likely be your solution...

Tekken

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 5,686 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:53 AM

A non-technical way of appreciating the ineffectiveness of more virtual memory is to imagine the memory allocation space Windows wants is represented by 40 people who need transport across the country. They have a 20 seat jet plane and a 30 seat bus. Someone suggests it will be better if they get a larger bus...

As jhayz indicates, only a larger plane (more RAM) or a much faster bus (high performance hard drive) will benefit in getting the job done faster.

Edited by Platypus, 22 November 2012 - 02:54 AM.

Pleased to have been a Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2007/8, 2008/9

Great minds like a think.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

Almost Retired

• Members
  • 9,689 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:53 AM

Hello -
Please post the Make and Model of your computer so better / more specific advice can be offered -
We can then see if "a larger plane (more RAM) or a much faster bus (high performance hard drive)" is the better option :)

Thank You -

#5 redroset

redroset

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

Dell - ACPI Multiprocessor PC

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 5,686 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

Hi redroset - what was the intent of your post?
Pleased to have been a Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2007/8, 2008/9

Great minds like a think.

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:27 AM

I don't think he understands that virtual memory is increased automatically by Windows and is usually a symptom of not enough RAM. His likely solution is to add RAM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users