Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to start a career in IT

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 785 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

And when you find that perfect job, don't forget the most important last step:

Outsource It!!

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

Miles Davis & John Coltrane - So What - Live Jazz (1959)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 Phabeon

Phabeon

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

And when you find that perfect job, don't forget the most important last step:

Outsource It!!

PlayerHaTer..

so wintrland and s3000, its been a few weeks now since yall's original posts.

Whats the status man? 

Yall got a success story man or what? Us younger troops is waiting for the report..

let us know..

oNe

#18 TechSherpas

TechSherpas

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:03 AM

Obtaining a degree is a good idea, but can take a while. I would suggest starting with an A+ certification, which you can obtain in 1 week. Same with the Network+, and Security+. After three weeks, you will have three certifications you can add onto your resume. From there you can work on obtaining your degree, as well as work on other more specialized certifications, which will depend on what area of IT you want to get into. Here is some information on the Top in Demand certifications http://www.techsherpas.com/blog/index.php/top-in-demand-it-certifications/

#19 easyrider2

easyrider2

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:08 AM

Hi sd3000,

31 is a good age to start a career in IT (I know something about it ;)

A+ certification is a good start as it will introduce you to the IT and I found it interesting. Similar to Winterland, I would also recommend Mike Myer's book.

In my own experience, studying towards certifications, finding entry level position and then building the experience is a great way, especially if you would like to work in networking & helpdesk support.

Volunteering is also a good way to start gaining experience and it can give you an advantage on an interview when compared to other educated but less experienced candidates.

Best of luck!

#20 belcant2

belcant2

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:39 PM

I am pretty much in the same situation as you and it's hard to decide the right path. I will go for as many certificates as I can as taking a degree is just a pain in the arse especially at 41. Some suggestions, some will frown at this, you can search on the katproxy.com torrent site and use utorrent software and you can find many of useful videos and even study software for tests.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users