Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"thor Conn Wnd Class" Came Up At Shutdown

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,485 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 12:08 AM

As I was turning off the computer, I got a little windows saying "Thor Conn Wnd Class is not responding" ... End task or Cancel. At that point I cancelled, and see nothing on Google, so I'm here again.

About the only odd thing that occured today was in Excel. When I started Excel, it said that several addins were not installed. And so, since I need things like Lookup, or Analysis toolpack, I said to go ahead (dumb?). At that time my firewall was shut down, so I don't think that installation did me in. I never had addins not installed, and don't recall how the installation looks, but it did do something without ever identifying what addin. However, Lookup, solver, something else did come back. I wish I had better records at this point, but I do not.

Recently, Microsoft was installing some updates to Office. Could that have make the addins vanish? Is any of this relevant to the class not responding?

I will do various scans and checks you always recommend, but in the meantime, any ideas?
What is this thing???????????????

One other odd thing happened. When I do IE, my normal start page is Google. Well, today it ended up at the Microsoft Update page, and HJT log which I just ran shows it up with a long {number}. Spybot says all is well. I'll run more stuff.

BTW this computer is running at this point with 1/2services missing, I guess from the unfinished shutdown, and it still works. Figure that.

Edited by tos226, 23 March 2006 - 12:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,485 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:23 AM

First of all, the term is ThornConnWndClass, one word not 4, which is why googling got me nowhere.
Secondly, I think it might be connected to the recent MS upgrade to patch Excel holes.
I'm beginning to think that they reconfigured my Excel, broke the addins and the rest followed.
I suspect that the process which could not end was due to me attempting to add addins with the internet connection down.
All scans of the sort you suggest came out clean. So at this point, I'll leave the subject alone.

But if anyone is willing to do better than my guessing, PLEASE, DO SO !

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 08 April 2006 - 02:19 PM

Mod addition to have topic requeued for member review.

Edited by Scarlett, 09 April 2006 - 05:34 AM.

Posted Image

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,717 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 07:19 AM

From the limited info I have read, this error appears to be related to Outlook and data on the e-mail server. There is a discussion with some suggestions here but that thread is rather old.

Since you mentioned the odd behavior happened after installing MS updates to Office, you may want to contact MS Help & Support for assistance.

Edited by quietman7, 09 April 2006 - 07:39 AM.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,485 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 04:43 PM

Thanks Scarlett and quietman7.
I, too, was doing searches and bumped into the old Outlook issues.
Now, this error has not happened anymore. So at this time, I'm attributing it to that Excel security upgrade which threw away all my addins without telling me that's what they contemplate doing :thumbsup: . Quietman - it's good idea to contact support & just tell'm about it. Unfortunately, unless I can replicate, it'll unlikely get me anywhere. I'll report back IF anything develops.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 31,717 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 05:11 PM

Your welcome tos226. Glad to hear the error is no longer a problem. Yes, its a good idea to let MS know about it. If enough consumers report a problem there is a greater chance of them doing something about it.
Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2007-2014 MVP.gif

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users