Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Privitize VPN

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LewisCat

LewisCat

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:09 AM

I just accidentally installed Privitize VPN on my computer and now it won't go away! I tried removing it with add/remove programs but it is still here. It has glued itself to a firefox window that won't close no matter what I do. Is this a virus and did I just kill my computer? I don't have Norton or anything, I'm not sure what to install to fix it, or if it is too late. This is my only computer and I need it for school, someone please help me. I'm scared I might have installed a virus or something :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 16,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

I don't have Norton or anything,

There are several good antivirus applications that are free, you shouldn't go online without a antivirus installed. You can choose from the ones listed in the Freeware Replacements for Common Commercial Apps which the staff here at BC has checked out and endorse the use of.

The following information came fromYahoo Answers.

"With organizations like the RIAA and MPAA actively seeking out individuals via IP address and attemtping to prosecute or demand money from them, the popularity of virtual private networks (VPN) has skyrocketed. The Pirate Bay has now decided to offer another VPN service called PrivitizeVPN . It differs from iPredator by being completely free to use.

Of course, a free VPN still has to generate revenue to pay for the service. The Pirate Bay has therefore decided to go down the advertising route. By downloading and installing PrivitizeVPN you are forced to install the Babylon search bar (adware) as well as setting your homepage and default search to Babylon (which you can opt out of or change later). There's also reports that it installs the Internet Turbo tuning and optimization tool.

For the moment PrivitizeVPN looks to be for Windows only. Choosing to use it will get you access to a free VPN service, but at what cost? Adware on your PC is never a good idea, and there's nothing to stop The Pirate Bay adding to the range of software it demands you install in future to keep using the service. PrivitizeVPN should be approached with extreme caution."
I just went to www.privitize.com to get information on it and my antivirus stopped a trojan from loading. I would suggest posting a topic in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum.

Edited by dc3, 18 November 2012 - 12:25 PM.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"  Groucho Marx

#3 LewisCat

LewisCat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:09 PM

Thank you :) I'll download some protection right now, I know I've been really dumb for not having anything on here before, its just been a "not getting around to it" sort of thing for like 2 years... yea I know that's terrible :(

I ended up doing a "restore to previous date" thing on my computer and I think that worked. Privitize VPN is gone :)

Thanks again for your input :)

#4 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 16,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

If there's no infection you should be good to go. If things do become unstable I will suggest posting a topic in the Am I infected forum.

Best of luck.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"  Groucho Marx

#5 akwy

akwy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

I have just done a series of scans using various Anti-Malware programs and they have deleted some of the malware's files. However, how would I know when it has been fully removed from my computer? Would there be any symptoms that would tell me if it is still there? I'd appreciate it if someone could reply with an answer because I have been panicking for a couple of hours now since I am using a fairly new laptop. 

Thanks

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 33,205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

@ akwy,

You have a topic here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/485858/accidentally-installed-privitize-vpn-how-do-i-check-to-see-if-it-is-gone/  on this issue to which  you have received a reply.  Please keep all posts regarding this issue to that topic to avoid confusion for all concerned.

I will delete your post above and this reply at a later time.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SuperAntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users