Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 White Screen on Boot

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wf25

wf25

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

I have found at least one other person that had a similar problem, but the information you provided for that problem doesn't seem to fit my symptoms. That person was seeing the message "please wait while connection is being established", I am not getting any messages, just a flashing black to white screen that stays white.

When booting, my screen will flash white. If the boot is successful, which is less than 50% of the time,I then see the loading windows screen and the computer goes ahead and boots normally. But, more often than not, I never see the booting windows screen and the monitor will just flash from black to white, several times, and then stays white. I do get the windows music to indicate that the boot was successful,but I can only see a blank white screen, no icons or mouse cursor. If I press the power button a couple of times, the system will usually eventually give me a screen that looks like the system was paused and is waiting for a user to be selected and a password to be entered. Once I am able to access the system, it seems to work normally. I have waited as long as 15 minutes or so to see if the boot will complete once I get the white screen, but it never seems to go any further.

I have checked for a virus using my virus checker, Viper antivirus, and checked for malware using malware bytes, but can find nothing. I even started a boot log to see if I could see any indication in the log file, but I can see nothing. I have worked on computers, but not windows machines and I am at a loss, can you help? I will send you anything you need.

wf25

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darkumas

Darkumas

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

I have experienced this problem on one of my laptops. I am not sure if you are using a laptop or desktop. If a laptop have you tried connecting it to a desktop monitor to check if the issue keeps happening?

#3 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:21 AM

I have found at least one other person that had a similar problem, but the information you provided for that problem doesn't seem to fit my symptoms. That person was seeing the message "please wait while connection is being established", I am not getting any messages, just a flashing black to white screen that stays white.

When booting, my screen will flash white. If the boot is successful, which is less than 50% of the time,I then see the loading windows screen and the computer goes ahead and boots normally. But, more often than not, I never see the booting windows screen and the monitor will just flash from black to white, several times, and then stays white. I do get the windows music to indicate that the boot was successful,but I can only see a blank white screen, no icons or mouse cursor. If I press the power button a couple of times, the system will usually eventually give me a screen that looks like the system was paused and is waiting for a user to be selected and a password to be entered. Once I am able to access the system, it seems to work normally. I have waited as long as 15 minutes or so to see if the boot will complete once I get the white screen, but it never seems to go any further.

I have checked for a virus using my virus checker, Viper antivirus, and checked for malware using malware bytes, but can find nothing. I even started a boot log to see if I could see any indication in the log file, but I can see nothing. I have worked on computers, but not windows machines and I am at a loss, can you help? I will send you anything you need.

wf25

Please boot into Safe Mode(f8) and see if issue persists.Also worth checking:are any cables loose by any chance? Unplug,replug.İf issue persists in Safe Mode as well,please choose Safe Mode with Networking and go here http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/ for a scan.Please make sure to mark ALL appropriate boxes and disable your antivirus just before the scan and remember to re-enable it afterwards.

Are you up to date with all Windows Updates,does Windows Updates work properly?

#4 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 18,323 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

It just might be helpful if you were to post the make and model of this computer.
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.  Groucho Marx

#5 wf25

wf25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

I have a Dell Studio XPS 7100 with an AMD quad 4 processor running Windows 7. This machine is a desktop, I have a laptop also, but so far, have not had any problems with that unit. I have checked all connections and can find no problems. I will try booting into safe mode and will reply to this post when finished. But, that could be several days, the boot will be just fine sometimes but others will not boot cleanly. Whether or not it boots fine, the screen still flashes a white screen to start. If it boots fine the it goes into Windows otherwise it seems to have booted successfully, I get the windows music, but the screen stays white.

#6 wf25

wf25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

I've tried several times to boot to safe mode, but I don't seem to be able to do so. I press the f8 key as soon as I turn on power, but the system doesn't seem to recognize the entry. I also tried just turning off the system as soon as windows is booted, that usually gives me the option to boot to safe mode, but no luck there either, the system just boots to windows when power is applied again.

#7 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:15 AM

Start type msconfig into the Search box.From the list that appears under 'Programs' click on msconfig.exe The System Configuration page will appear.Click on the Boot tab.Under Boot Options checkmark Safe Boot click Apply click ok.Reboot the pc and you should now boot into Safe Mode.After you're done with the scan,please remember to go back there and unchecked the mark apply and ok again.

İn the General tab select the option labeled Normal Startup .

Then press Apply and then the OK .
When the programs prompts you to reboot, allow it to do so, and you will boot back into Windows 7 in normal mode

Also this link may be helpful http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/white-screen-with-loading-cursor-after-startup/57f0d398-b777-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5?msgId=0065ee90-5c6d-4fc7-83a0-c75c262e9484

Edited by Julia G, 03 December 2012 - 07:49 AM.

#8 wf25

wf25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

I was able to boot into safe mode and ran the online scanner suggested. No threats were found on the system. The boot into safe mode went smoothly, no indication of a problem or white screen. I booted to safe mode twice with no problems on either boot.

#9 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:35 AM

1..Since this problem does not occur in Safe Mode,it's likely a driver(s) issue.Please check the manufacturers site for any updates to video and graphics drivers.

2..Does your system have all of Windows Updates.Check for that.

3..Click on the little white flag on the system tray(where the clock is)>Open Action Center,click Troubleshooting.

4.Boot back into Safe Mode and choose Last known good configuration,if that doesn't help,try system restore.

To restore the operating system to an earlier point in time, follow these steps: 1.Click Start

type system restore in the Start Search box, and then click System Restore in the Programs list.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.
2.In the System Restore dialog box, click Choose a different restore point, and then click Next.
3.In the list of restore points, click a restore point that was created before you began to experience the issue, and then click Next.
4.Click Finish.

#10 wf25

wf25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

Let's close this post, the problem ended up being a hardware problem, my monitor went south. Bought a new monitor and the problem was corrected. Thanks everyone for your input, there were several things I hadn't thought to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users