Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I HATE U-Verse

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ex0syphen

ex0syphen

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

I suggested this forum was created, and it was. I wanted to share with you my experience. If you couldn't tell by the title, I HATE U-Verse. Everything about them is horrible.

First, every three months we have to get a new Residential Gateway (Router/Main Box thingy). They are made so cheaply they keep failing. It would make more sense for them to make one good one, instead of continuously replacing bad ones. My internet speed is despicable. I pay for 18mbps download speed and on speedtest.net I get 5mbps at the beat of times. Although, the speedtest on AT&Ts website always "conveniently" shows a little over 18mbps. Their phone support is horrendous. The automated system forces you to restart your computer and call back before directing you to tech support, when all you need is a new router. When you get a live person, you can barely understand them through their accent and the horrible sound quality (thanks AT&T). They know almost nothing about tech support, so I have to be directed to tier 2 in order to get my problem solved.

I'm thinking about switching to xfinity. Are they any better? Have you had to deal with AT&T too?

P.S. If you ever have to call AT&T, get to any live person and ask to speak to tier 2 tech support. It is actually possible to understand them.

What if there were no hypothetical situations?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bulldawg23

Bulldawg23

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:22 AM

Just switched from TWC to Uverse- TV is fine but the internet is heinous. I was averaging 26 Mbps down with TWC and am now getting 16 at best on their 18 Mbps plan when most of the time it's around 3-12 Mbps. Also, I hate how I cannot truly bridge their mode/router whereas with TWC it was simply a modem and I handled all routing/LAN networking.

#3 ex0syphen

ex0syphen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

I feel bad for you. I switched to Xfinity, and their connection point for the entire block is in our back yard so we get great service. If Xfinity is available in your area (and AT&T hasn't forced you to sign a contract) you should try them. The internet is much faster and the On Demand has over 800,000 titles.

What if there were no hypothetical situations?

#4 Rana125

Rana125

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:49 PM

Xfinity works ok for me until about 2 pm in the summer. At that time, internet becomes slow, the TV is all pixeled, so DVRing anything is rather pointless as it records the pixels. I've contacted customer support and their help is ok. Nothing big about it. They give me a quick fix, but the problem happens the next day.

When I was getting the internet set-up, it took them three times to come over. The 1st time they didn't have the equipment they needed, the 2nd time they stood me up, and the 3rd time they cut my cable cord too short so now I have to rewire the cable line if I ever wanted to move the TV some where else in the living room.

Best part, I can't access On Demand. I keep getting an error screen. Swap out two cable boxes, still have the same problem. It is very frustrating...  :ranting:

I was thinking about going to Uverse, but if this is not much better, then I am truly at a loss.  :huh:

Edited by Rana125, 27 May 2013 - 10:50 PM.

#5 HalfBreed

HalfBreed

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:32 AM

Anyone have any experience with Hughs Net. My sister-inlaw has it. Her laptop had  Vista on it, I finally convinced her 99% of her problems were caused by it and last week we wiped her puter clean & installed Windows 7 Pro on it. So when she went to connect to the router for hughs net it wouldn't. After a while she called them and after about an hour of trying to understand somebody in the sandbox over seas it was determined that her router was outdated for Win 7 and she needed to buy another router from them to connect to internert. She just renewed her contract and they charge her something like $60 -$75 a monthe for internet service, At&t DSL doesn't reach her out in the back woods where see lives and no other choices. Hell a wireless Verizon hotspot doesn't work hardly good enough to stay connected. It's hell this day and time when you can't get decent internet service even out in the woods, by the way she is lives out in the woods in NW Alabama about 35miles from Birmingham. Any one have any ides about what kind of Router could be used with Hughs net taht could be bought on-line?

#6 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:03 AM

I've had U-verse just about 18 months, no signed contract.  My laptop gets 12,24,36,48 and 54 mbps depending on ?.  I've been lucky that the problems I've had have been solved by rebooting.  I've gone the telephone robot route and last time "hold" was over 6 hours - and I didn't get a call back as promised.  I've heard little good about other internet suppliers so apparently it's not finding the best but the least worst.  I guess you stay with the devil you know - mostly.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 6,037 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:15 PM

HalfBreed....According to this...Looking for a router to use with your HughesNet system?

This one will work....Amazon.com: Linksys E1200 Wireless-N300 Router: Electronics

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”
Lawrence M. Krauss

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,181 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:08 AM

Seriously, what I truly find amusing about AT&T U-Verse television commercials is the one about their wireless receiver, it states you'll never be tied to the TV outlet again.....LOL! Has anyone seriously considered how the TV and wireless convertor gets it's AC power? You may not need to route the cable wire to the TV, but you STILL NEED the extension cord!!!

What a dumb sales pitch and gimmick!

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 35 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.
However, I Am Currently A 'Disc Jockey' at a Local Low Powered FM Radio Station. ~~ Bruce Edwards ~~

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:49 PM

Thanks all for the heads up on U-Verse. I was thinking of switching my internet provider just to try to save money. But go figure, there are three companies that service my neck of the woods, but only one services my little block, so I guess I shall stick with Verizon...really have no grips with the service, just trying to save pennies. However, do not get me started with their security suite...

#10 rp-57

rp-57

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:54 PM

Well I'am in Oklahoma and I got uverse bout 4 months ago but I did not have anything until 4 months ago no cable or internet either. I got uverse from advice of a lady friend who lives several doors from me in my apart area.   she said she loved uverse.  so ok here I go to sign up with at and t.  and now I still have uverse and I'am satisfied.

and speed is fast I can get on webpages and its right there on the screen very fast.  I'am amazed really.  but I like it so far.  I do have there Wifi connection of course and I have a cable box and both of them is great I have not had any break downs nothing yet.  I do know the people who live round me in the aparts they all have the local cable and intenet here and    and I do notice there local cable here goes down a lot..I can say mine is up and running while every one  elses cable is down.  Funny to me. but when I call to ask for a question with at and t I always always get the service that  I look for and no I don't get any one on the other end who puts me on hold or anything like that.  since I'am in OKLA the service areas that okla has is in Missouri and texas so I get either one of those offices when I do call at and t.

have a good day

#11 jeff-j

jeff-j

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:47 AM

I both hate and like u-verse, first off the Pacer boxes are crap. I am an IT consultant and was so mad when I found out I could not bridge them anymore and that I had to put my equipment in the DMZ plus zone to get it to work. But I will admin the onsite tech did stay with me the entire time until I was somewhat satisfied. For business it is horrible. But for home I have had it for three years I pay for 18 down and get on average about 20 down, and I only pay $32 a month, But I have an older 2Wire modem from ATT that is a beast and holds up to my needs.

#12 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:47 AM

I suggested this forum was created, and it was. I wanted to share with you my experience. If you couldn't tell by the title, I HATE U-Verse. Everything about them is horrible.

First, every three months we have to get a new Residential Gateway (Router/Main Box thingy). They are made so cheaply they keep failing. It would make more sense for them to make one good one, instead of continuously replacing bad ones. My internet speed is despicable. I pay for 18mbps download speed and on speedtest.net I get 5mbps at the beat of times. Although, the speedtest on AT&Ts website always "conveniently" shows a little over 18mbps. Their phone support is horrendous. The automated system forces you to restart your computer and call back before directing you to tech support, when all you need is a new router. When you get a live person, you can barely understand them through their accent and the horrible sound quality (thanks AT&T). They know almost nothing about tech support, so I have to be directed to tier 2 in order to get my problem solved.

I'm thinking about switching to xfinity. Are they any better? Have you had to deal with AT&T too?

P.S. If you ever have to call AT&T, get to any live person and ask to speak to tier 2 tech support. It is actually possible to understand them.

The speed test it because when you or AT&T tests it, your still inside AT&T network.  Meaning you have not hit their outbound gateway.  That is where the slow down happens.

For example I have TWC, pay for up to 15 mbps, but usually get 10mbps if I am lucky.  If I go to TWC.com and use their speed test, I get 16mbps.  But when I go to speakeasy.net (the unoffical gold standard in speed tests) I stil at 10mbps if I am lucky.

This is because TWC traffic outbounds in peoria illinois, and that is the slow down happens.  So when I want to go to .... www.IhatemyISP.com, it is slow.

CZARBOOM 
Malware Study Hall Sophomore

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users