Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot install Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 on Windows XP (KB2698023)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 VicVegas

VicVegas

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:00 AM

I was running a number of automatic updates, most of them installed, "Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 x86 (KB2698023)" did not. I just keep receiving "Error Code: 0x643".

So far I've tried a number of fixes to no avail.

I cannot really remember the exact links, But I tried two different Microsoft FixIts intended for similar problems:
MicrosoftFixit.wu.LB.23276429008175881.2.1.Run
MicrosoftFixit.ProgramInstallUninstall.MATSKB.Run

I've also tried Miscrosoft's NetFxRepairTool.

And finally I tried installing the newest version of Windows Installer and getting the file manually, but when I go to install "NDP1.1sp1-KB2698023-X86" it just keeps telling me "The feature you are trying to use is on a network service that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'netfx.msi' in the box below." and it shows me this box where I can browse for a location. I have no idea what the location would be, or even if what it wants is actually on this computer.

On a side note. I've been having this message pop up in my browser allot lately: "Security Warning. Although this page is encrypted, the information you have entered is to be sent over an unencrypted connection and could easily be read by a third party. Are you sure you want to continue sending this information?" Mostly, if not only, Microsoft sites keep telling me this. It also seems that every Microsoft site I visit wants me to log on to Windows Live, which might explain that, but it's never done that before and isn't doing it on any other computers I own.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

Almost Retired

• Members
  • 9,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:28 AM

Download the KB2698023 to desktop and try to install from there -

Next run the automated troubleshooter in this KB article from start to finish, reboot & see if the update will install:
How to fix MSI software update registration corruption issues
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971187

If no joy, see...
You receive 0x80070643 or 0x643 error codes when you try to install .NET Framework updates through Windows Update or Microsoft Updates
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982

Now try the first link again -

If these are the ones you have used, please post back and we can look for other ways to install -

#3 VicVegas

VicVegas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

I have no idea how to run a .diagcab file. That aside, everything else you mentioned is what I've tried.

#4 VicVegas

VicVegas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

There's another thread in this forum covering the same issue I noticed. It was suggested that they download one of the files here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15054 in order to uninstall .NET Framework and then install the latest version from here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851.

Do you think I should take this course of action? If so, which one of the files from the first link would be appropriate? There are three on that page.

Edited by VicVegas, 16 November 2012 - 03:09 PM.

#5 833P

833P

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

Download NDP1.1sp1-KB2698023-X86.exe, extract it to a folder using Winzip or Winrar, double click NDP1.1sp1-KB2698023-X86.msp

This works for many security updates that wont install.

#6 Jay_S

Jay_S

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

I downloaded the fix and tried to apply directly. The error message dialog box reads as follows:

"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable

Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation
package 'netfx.msi' in the box below."

in the drop down it reads:

C:\DOCUME~1\Jay\Locals~1\Temp\IXP000.TMP\

I had the opportunity upon exiting out to send to Microsoft, so I did. If others have that same opportunity, I'd send the data. With a lot of folks experiencing it, I'm guessing there is some issue in the update.

Jay S.

#7 VicVegas

VicVegas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:35 AM

Download NDP1.1sp1-KB2698023-X86.exe, extract it to a folder using Winzip or Winrar, double click NDP1.1sp1-KB2698023-X86.msp

How clear do I have to be? I TRIED THIS ALREADY!!! I say it in my first post for goodness sake! :angry:

And finally I tried installing the newest version of Windows Installer and getting the file manually, but when I go to install "NDP1.1sp1-KB2698023-X86" it just keeps telling me "The feature you are trying to use is on a network service that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'netfx.msi' in the box below." and it shows me this box where I can browse for a location. I have no idea what the location would be, or even if what it wants is actually on this computer.

Which is exactly the problem Jay_Z is having. Unfortunately for us this may mean we have to completely remove our .NET Framework and reinstall all of it. <_<

#8 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

Download dotnetfx from here

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=26

Right click on the file and extract.Double click on extracted folder and make sure you have a file called netfx.msi

Install them again and when you receive this error

"The feature you are trying to use is on a network service that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'netfx.msi' in the box below"

Click on Browse and point to netfx.msi

good luck

Edited by narenxp, 17 November 2012 - 07:50 PM.

#9 VicVegas

VicVegas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

Well It installed, I'm happy to say. Will that pointless warning go away on it's own or will I have to do something about it? :thumbsup:

#10 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:42 AM

Will that pointless warning go away

which one?

#11 Village-Idiot

Village-Idiot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

Thanks Naren XP - worked just great.

BTW - you remove the warning by simply running windows update from the start button. Windows update will re-poll your system and recognise that the update is now installed

#12 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

:thumbup2:

#13 VicVegas

VicVegas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:46 AM

which one?

It was still showing the yellow update shield for a while after I fixed it. But it stopped.

#14 noknojon

noknojon

Almost Retired

• Members
  • 9,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:44 AM

@ Birchbarque -

In order to not confuse this thread, your BSOD issues are not exactly related to this topic and you may be lost in the crowd -

Please start a Fresh topic with full details of your problems, and Copy / Paste this link in the new topic for others to see >>
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic475327.html/page__view__findpost__p__2904172

Thank You - :)

#15 FireDocUSMC

FireDocUSMC

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:14 AM

VicVegas

I have the same issue on 2 of 4 PC's running Windows XP, knowing MS Support deadline is 8 Apr 2014.  So I wanted these 3 PC's updated.  MS Update locates 10-12 updates, when I attempt to Download and Install all 10-12 listed Fail.   All XP PC's have Service Pak 3.

I have ran Full Virus Scans, MSERT (Microsoft Security Scan) and Malicious Software Removal Tool, every Win Fixit, manually downloaded at least 20 KB's and .Net Framework and installed.

Uninstalled I.E. 8, re-installed I.E. 8 and all updates...1 PC using XP, has no issues with Windows Update.  I have 8 PC's, and a Laptop running XP Pro, I have not booted and tried running WuAuServ.

Of the 2 XP's with Failed Update Issues, I have followed the following, also this did not work.

1. CMD  " net stop WuAuServ "
2. Rename Windows Software Distribution " SDold "
3. CMD " net start WuAuServ "

And http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824643

How to troubleshoot Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 installation issues in Windows XP

%InstallationPath%\dotnetfx.exe /t:%temp% /c:"msiexec.exe /fvecms %temp%\netfx.msi"

netfx.msi is not found anywhere on my harddrive, even after downloading and installing NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe and dotnetfx.exe

I have tried using the Windows Update/Installer Fix. WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe   Nothing works.

I have been using MS OS since 1986, from DOS to Windows 3.0, 95, 98, ME, XP, Vista, Win7...not my first MS Rodeo,  I am religious on Updating all OS, same of Anti-virus, and running daily scans.

I just ran the NetFxRepairTool.exe on 1 XP PC and I am down to 2 updates Security Update WinXP (KB2686509) and MS .Net Framework 1.1. SP 1

And Looking at Add/Remove Programs shows MS .Net Framework 1.1. installed as well as .Net Framework 2.0. SP 2, .Net Framework 3.0. SP 2, 3.5 SP1, 4 Client Profile and Extended

http:// drdocyoung.com/ 911-computer-service/ XP-Failed-Updates/

Main reason I have PC's running 95, 98, ME, XP on old systems per se is I have software and perpherials, files created in my 30 yrs using PC's, are not compatible with Vista or Win7.  Still on their original hard-drives, and I use a USB 2.0 to SATA + IDE (2.5 / 3.5 / 5.25") Cable Adapter when needed.  Same of USB 3.5" floppy drive, USB & Firewire external drives, Iomega Zip Drives USB & Parallel.

Doc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users