Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

startup prob. plz help!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nitrovert

nitrovert

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:32 AM

disabled all startup programs using spyhunter by mistake. now i get a blank screen on start up. also unable to enter safe mode. on pressing F8 key i am asked to choose between hard disk and cd drive to boot from. on choosing hard disk i get the same blank screen with a bleeping underdash. can't use windows cd as drive is spoiled. Plz help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 17,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

It would help if you posted the make and model of this computer.

Can you borrow a optical drive from a friend to run the Windows CD?

If you can borrow a drive you may need to enter the BIOS and change the boot order so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.  Groucho Marx

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

on pressing F8 key i am asked to choose between hard disk and cd drive to boot from.

On some systems, tapping the F8 key too early will bring up a boot menu as you describe. My Asus motherboard will do the same.

• If the boot menu appears, select your boot hard drive and immediately after pressing the <Enter> key, start tapping F8.
  • This should bring up the Advanced Boot Options Menu. If you wait a split second too long, the computer will attempt to normal boot.
  • If successful, select Safe Mode and perform a system restore to a time before the problem started.

Regards,
Brooks

#4 nitrovert

nitrovert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:28 AM

[list][*]If the boot menu appears, select your boot hard drive and immediately after pressing the <Enter> key, start tapping F8.[*]This should bring up the Advanced Boot Options Menu.

yes i too have a Asus motherboard. i tried this but still unable to reach safe mode option. same thing happens every time. i don't know what else to try.

MB: asus, processor: AMD 4000+ dual core

#5 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

Hello,

There is one other way to access system restore.

Using a friend's computer, you will need to create a Windows 7 Repair Disk (CD); same Windows version (i.e. Home Premium) and x86 or x64 bits as your Asus. Following the directions below, you will format a USB flash drive to make it bootable, copy the files from the Repair CD to the flash drive, and then boot your Asus computer from USB.

Navigate to this link: Windows Secrets - Rescue Windows with a bootable flash drive By Lincoln Spector on July 8, 2010.
  • Arrow down the page to Build the Windows 7 System Repair undisc
  • Follow the instructions to create a repair disc using your laptop. You will need a blank, recordable CD.
  • If successful, run the commands to create the bootable USB flash drive.
  • Unhide hidden files/folders.
  • Copy the contents from the repair disc, to the USB flash drive.

Running System Restore from a Repair CD via USB Flash Drive:
  • Insert the USB flash drive into the ailing computer and power on.
  • Boot from the flash drive by pressing the F8 key and selecting the USB drive.
    • If F8 doesn't work, you will need to enter Bios Setup and change the boot.
  • If you are prompted to Press any key to boot from CD or DVD... do so.
  • On the first screen, select your language/keyboard and then press Next.
  • You may or may not have to select your User Profile and enter your password.
    • Sometimes Administrator is shown by default. Arrow down and select your user profile.
  • On the next screen, you should see Windows 7 operating system. Click Next to continue.
  • The Recovery System Options menu will appear. Select System Restore.
  • Choose a restore point to before you made start-up deletions

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users