Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update won't start. Says it is starting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

I have helped a friend clean his computer using Malawarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, and C Cleaner. He did not have a virus protection on it. I have put Microsoft Security Essentials on the computer and updated and ran a full scan. None of the programs including the Security Essentials found anything except adware.

When I go into the Task Manager, it shows the CPU usage at 100%. I have looked everywhere on the web and can't seem to find a way to reduce the CPU usage. I have turned off the side bar and disabeled several program from running in the start up.

I did find a posting that said it might be due to not maintaing Windows Updates. When I checked Windows Update I found I could not update. I went to services and find that the windows update service is starting (not started). I tried to go in and sop and then restart the service but it is grayed out. I can't get it to start. I was thinking that if I could do the updates he needs in Windows Update, I might be able to correct the problem in the services.

If anyone can direct me to how to correct this, I would sure appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 36,347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

Download Process Explorer: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
Unzip ProcessExplorer.zip, and double click on procexp.exe to run the program.
Click on View > Select Colunms.
In addition to already pre-selected options, make sure, the Command Line is selected, and press OK.
Go File>Save As, and save the report as Procexp.txt.
Attach the file to your next reply.

============================

Please download Farbar Service Scanner Download Link and run it on the computer with the issue.
  • Make sure the following options are checked:

• Internet Services
    • Windows Firewall
    • System Restore
    • Security Center/Action Center
    • Windows Update
    • Windows Defender
  • Press "Scan".
  • It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:07 AM

After I downloaded Process Explorer, I tried to open the file and it began to run opening page after page of Internet Explorer. No page opened but it placed in the tray continuous instances of Internet Explorer. I've never encountered anything quite like it.

What do I do to get the Process Explorer to open. I tried safe mode and it didn't help.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 36,347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

Post FSS log.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users