Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Illustrator 10

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sobobapotomas

Sobobapotomas

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

Good morning,

Using Illustrator 10 for a small update project and am unable to "place" newly created pdf files into Illustrator for editing. Error returned reads - "Acrobat pdf file format is having difficulties. The file is damaged and could not be repaired." The files are newly created and have been separated from a larger file using a pdf utility and has worked perfectly well in the past. I'm thinking old Adobe software is unhappy with new....any solutions possible here short of buying new or abandonment? Illustrator 10 continues to work well for many small projects.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

You may be right that Illustrator does not like the results of your utility. Any reason why you could not fragment the larger file in Illustrator (other than Adobe doesn't produce the slickest apps so you use a slicker utility by others). Make a copy of the big pdf and delete what you don't need in Illustrator?

#3 Sobobapotomas

Sobobapotomas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

Thanks for the input. What I did was use a utility to split the much larger file into individual pages allowing single page placement/evelediting in Illustrator. I have learned since posting here that Illustrator 10 does not handle PDF's created above a level 1.2. A suggestion was to use Adobe Distiller to restructure the compatibility of the files, or save to the built in pdf printer which compresses the file, which then may be workable, or...there's another possibility by using another pdf utility which I have, for the ,moment, forgotten what it's called. The thing is that I'm using Reader 10....not Acrobat..where, apparently all of these magical things reside. So....it appears that I am..S.O.L. perhaps temporarily. ugh....

#4 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

Unfortunately Adobe keep a tight rein on editing software for PDFs. The freebies are very limited in capabilities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users