Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot perform system recovery. Registry file failure

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 WILD RACING

WILD RACING

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:50 PM

I have an older Compaq presario desktop (Win XP SP 3) that I would like to wipe clean to it's out of the box state.

It's a Presario 55000CL

I do not have any disks so I tried the built in recovery and just after it starts I get this

STOP: c0000218 {registry file failure}
The registry cannot load the hive
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SECURITY
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

After that it won't do anything till I push the button and turn it off and then back on again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

Aussie Addict

• Members
  • 8,840 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:10 AM

Hi -
Did you create any Recovery disks at any time to back up your sysyem ?? I am not sure if XP CDs are still available from HP -
This is a HP tutorial that "may" help - Troubleshooting System Recovery Problems (Windows XP...
You will need to read down the page and follow any links that relate to your problems -
They do include videos of procedures that can help you -

Thank You -

- Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium Toshiba Laptop - Avant and user of Internet Explorer Browsers  - And I Use GOOGLE-

~ Remember to Press F5 as you may already have an answer waiting for you ..... If not .....The answer is always 42, or Reboot ~

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 40,792 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

I don't find any support or other data for a Presario 5500cl at the HP websit4e.

Please list exactly what you did...in your effort to employ the HP recovery/restore mechanism.

The STOP error that you cite...is one which applies to the installed O/S...I see no reason why it would appear when attempting a restore-to-factory-defaults.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 November 2012 - 09:25 PM.

#4 WILD RACING

WILD RACING
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:04 AM

Unfortunately I do not have any discs. I got this PC second hand so I'm not the original owner.

There was one link "other errors" that I'm following now.

#5 WILD RACING

WILD RACING
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:19 AM

Ok, I've followed these directions from the HP site.....

3.Start and My Computer .
4.Right-click the main hard drive (usually C:) and select Properties .
5.Click the Tools tab, click Check Now , and select Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors .
6.Click Start and click Yes in the message window.
7.Restart the PC.
The disk check starts after the initial start up screens and can take a very long time.
8.Retry the recovery process after disk scan has finished.

However, when I restarted the computer it seems that it just started as normal. Should it have shown something saying it was fixing or scanning for errors?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 40,792 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

How does the system run now?

FWIW: Worth a look, Error Message When You Install Windows XP STOP c0000218 {Registry File Failure} - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830084 .

Do NOT download anything from this site, info purposes only:
Repair Registry File Failure, C0000218 Error - http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_repair_a_stop.htm

Louis

#7 WILD RACING

WILD RACING
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

I have not done anything with it since the restart that was part of that fix. Didn;t see what I expceted to so I stopped and let it sit till I heard from someone so I wouldn't scerw it up'

I can try to do the system recovery again when I get home tonight.

One thing I did want to ask, when I right clicked on the C drive, I saw a FORMAT option. (there is one for D as well)

What would formating those drives do fr me or is that something I should stay away from.

I really want to just wipe this one clean as there is a ton of used memory (almost all of it) and I have no idea what that stuff is as well as other installed programs that wont uninstall from the add remove porgrams list.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 40,792 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

Formatting...deletes any data currently on the partition/drive in question...and creates a new partition that has no data on it.

There are two processes which users refer to...that are completely different. The Windows System Restore function must be employed on a working Windows O/S. The OEM "system reovery" relies on system manufacturer implementation and is not a "recovery" of any sort...it simply returns the system to the state it was when newly bought. All changes to the system since that point...go away.

Louis

#9 WILD RACING

WILD RACING
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

If I click format on either drive will I simply regain memory or will I scerw it up to the point that the computer no longer works?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 40,792 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

Formatting...deletes any data currently on the partition/drive in question...and creates a new partition that has no data on it.

Delete or Format Hard Disk - What's the difference - http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft-public-windows-vista-performance-maintenance/93933-delete-format-hard-disk-whats-difference.html

Differences between a Quick format and a regular format during a clean installation of Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302686

Formatting Hard Drive - Quietman Guidance - http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=37155

How to partition and format a hard disk in Windows - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial116.html

Louis

#11 cee134

cee134

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

According to Microsoft Knowledge base:

• The hardware where you are trying to install Windows XP may not be compatible with Windows XP.
  • The hard disk where you are trying to install Windows XP may be damaged.

This site is for the issue involving Error Message When You Install Windows XP: "STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830084

Step 1: Make sure that the hardware Is compatible with Windows XP
For the latest compatibility information, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.windowsmarketplace.com

For additional information, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Microsoft Support Policy on Hardware Not On Windows NT HCL
The Latest Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List

If the hardware is listed on the latest Windows XP hardware compatibility list, see step 2.

Step 2: Use the recovery console to confirm that the hard disk or file system Is not damaged
Important We recommend that only advanced users or administrators use the Recovery Console.

Note Only the Administrator account can access the Recovery Console.

Start your computer from the Windows XP CD drive. If prompted, select any options that you must select to start from the CD drive.

Note To start your computer from the Windows XP CD drive, your CD drive or DVD drive must be configured to do this. For information about how to configure your computer to start from the CD drive or DVD drive, see the documentation that is included with your computer or contact the computer manufacturer.
When you are prompted to select Repair or Recover, press R. This starts the Microsoft Recovery Console.

Note You may have to enter the number to specify the Windows XP installation in the hard disk.
When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the Administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
Use the chkdsk command-line tool to examine the hard disks. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r, and then press ENTER.
Read the results, and then take any steps that you must take to complete the process. For example, you may be prompted to run chkdsk /f to fix certain problems.
Restart the computer, and then try to run Setup again.

#12 WILD RACING

WILD RACING
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:43 PM

Important We recommend that only advanced users or administrators use the Recovery Console

I think this may be where I acknowledge my shortcomings when it comes to computers and allow a professional to take it from here before I screw it up royally.

I would like to thank you guys for your efforts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users