Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: Buying for the future

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 focused313

focused313

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:46 AM

My budget for the new computer is: $300-$400

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? Web browsing, audio/video editing (wavepad, photoshop, windows movie maker, etc...), web page building, microsoft office, youtube, and other basic activities.

What software do you intend on using on the computer? Adobe Photoshop, teamviewer, avast, video screen capture software, dvd makers,

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? Only flashed based games online (ex: facebook)

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? Multiple load heavy programs running in addition to several tabs in google chrome.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? Yes, as well as videos. I can move those things to the external hard drive though.

I currently have a Toshiba L505D, connected to an external Acer 21" widescreen monitor. My laptop basically functions as a desktop, being closed most of the time, but I've found that that causes it to overheat and tend to shut itself off if I'm watching cpu intense videos, such as 1080p vids on youtube, while having other programs open.

I've decided to go with a desktop, since you essentially get more bang for your buck and I already have a decent laptop. I want Windows 7 Premium, a solid cpu, and a good amount of ram. I'd also like a hdmi out, but if not, I know how to add it myself.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

For $400, i could only find a i3 Dell which should be able to handle Photoshop and the other tasks. I do suggest upgrading the ram to at least 4GB.

Edited by killerx525, 11 November 2012 - 04:23 PM.

>Michael ~ Got my Katy Perry Australian concert ticket :3 
System1: CPU- AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB Kit(4Gx2) DDR3 1600MHz, SSD/HDD- 2x Intel 520 Series 120GB RAID-0/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x Asus HD6950 1GB Crossfire , Motherboard- Gigabyte 990FXA-D3, Case- Coolermaster HAF 932, PSU- Corsair CS-750M, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 2200+  System2: Mid-2010 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Jonathan James

Jonathan James

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:05 AM

Hi,
My vote for best laptop in the prescribed range, including services, would go to Dell. They may not always have a laptop for under $400, but you may be able to get one for around that during one of their bigger sales. Their customer support is hard to beat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users