Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware University

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Darc56

Darc56

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

Hello All,

Are there any good training courses for IT techs that center on the subject of Malware removal and system repair(all types inc rootkits). It would be good to have everyone on the same page in our Lab. I want to standardize (as much as possible) PC repairs.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Darc56

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 52,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:22 AM

There are various security certifications, with none of them I have direct experience. Rootkit removal requires first and for all a solid Windows knowledge though. At BC we offer a malware removal course for volunteers, not for IT professionals, so the aim is slightly different, but in any case, learning to remove malware manually can be a pretty intensive process.
regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

banner.png

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Sarah_Anderson

Sarah_Anderson

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

learning to remove malware manually can be a pretty intensive process.

Yes, it most certainly can.

Before I started my training here I thought I knew quite a lot about malware removal. But, by the time I got to Sophomore Exercise #3, I quickly realized that I didn't know half as much as I thought I did.

(By the way, after the research I've just done, if anyone (including Mark Russinovich) wants to know anything about services that run under svchost, just let he know. :P)

Seriously though, the training here is excellent. As Elise said earlier, it can be pretty intensive. But it is also very thorough and very interesting. I'm really pleased that I managed to get accepted into the training program. :thumbup2:

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 33,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

Hello Darc56,

In many corporate and network environments, the best policy when malware is involved is simply wiping the drive and reinstalling. This is as much for security of sensitive information as anything else. One should always have multiple secure backups on different media of all important documents, files, etc.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SuperAntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users