Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a Video Editing PC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NYCTony

NYCTony

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

Hello folks. I am looking for some input regarding a PC build geared toward video editing. It is based on the build outlined by the VideoGuys. I have built 2 normal PC's in the past, but nothing this robust. Would really appreciate someone with more experience having a look and making any suggestions for changes you think would help. I am trying to keep this in the area of $1500 to $2000.

The aspects of the build that I need to work out are following:
1. how to set up Raid Storage drives inside the tower rather than going with the external unit below. Is it best to go 4x 1TB drives or 2x 2TB drives? Also, what type of controller is best for speed.

2. Whether to go with the Antec Mid Tower or Full Tower case, and what type of cooling accessories to purchase.

3. Compatibility of all the parts and the Power supply - is this large enough?

4. To go with an SSD for the boot drive or have the extra storage a normal 1TB 7200 rpm drive will provide.

5. Video cards -- just too many options it seems

While I am careful at assembly, I am sure my questions show that there are large gaps in my knowledge of this type of system.

The shopping list I put together on newegg:

Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case

SSD Boot Drive:
Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive

CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 2011 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

Graphics Card Candidates:
EVGA 012-P3-2078-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 448 Cores (Fermi) Classified Ultra 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

EVGA 025-P3-1579-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) HD 2560MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

EVGA 012-P3-1570-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 PRO LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with USB BIOS

PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL

Bluray Drive: Pioneer Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 10X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA BDXL Blu-ray Burner BDR-207MBK

Edited by NYCTony, 06 November 2012 - 08:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:33 AM

1. RAID is usually provided by the motherboard unless you purchase a dedicated RAID card. I'd say go for 2 x 2TB and use Raid1. Not 100% sure what the best Raid card for speed is.

2. Go full tower because the X79 platform is basically quite large and you don't want to cramp it into a mid-atx.

3. Yes everything is compatible and the power supply is more then enough. A high quality 650W would be a better option, something like this.

4. Well if you need the space and don't mind the waiting at the boot up time then the hard drive.

5. I don't even think you need a high end video card for video editing, a simple basic card like this.

>Michael ~ Got my Katy Perry Australian concert ticket :3 
System1: CPU- AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB Kit(4Gx2) DDR3 1600MHz, SSD/HDD- 2x Intel 520 Series 120GB RAID-0/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x Asus HD6950 1GB Crossfire , Motherboard- Gigabyte 990FXA-D3, Case- Coolermaster HAF 932, PSU- Corsair CS-750M, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 2300+  System2: Mid-2010 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 NYCTony

NYCTony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:09 PM

What I'm learning through my research is that I do need a really nice video card and that since I am using the Adobe CS6 Suite, the system specs need to be tailored to work well with that software. Looking like I am going to end up going with a double RAID0 array and skip the SSD to save money, and I will be swapping out the above video card for a 660 TI in the $300 range.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

Keep in mind a few things...
1. Video display is easy...almost any mid level card will do what you want....only 3D rendering requires the ridiculous cards like the quattro..personally I think the AMD cards do better video.
2. Not all RAID is created equal...motherboard RAID uses the CPU and system memory to perform its functions...something video editing hits hard....a decent dedicated card will handle all of those functions without taxing the system. Also remember with striping if one drive dies you lose everything.....raid five has better reads and better redundancy but needs 3 drives.
3. Best investment is MAXIMUM MEMORY followed closely by the most powerful CPU.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 7,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

And to go one step further.......

Adding to the others suggestions

A SSD for booting and to hold all applications for speed. I use a 300Gb Intel that needs to be cleaned up and still has 184Gb free. I left the swap file (Virtual memory) on the SSD for speed.

At least two regular hard drives for data (Video).
Read from one drive and write the edits to the other.

My normal workflow would be capture 1080i to F:
Edit from F: and output to G:
Author from G: to F:
Burn to BluRay drive, In my Case Pioneer BDR-206, writing to Verbatim HTL disk, not LTH disks.

My Video card is a GeForce GTS 250. It is good enough
6Gb Triple channel memory and a I7 - 930
a Add in USB3 card to save source files to a USB3 2Tb for backup. the 2TB USB3 externals being a good price right now.

A little faster would be nice But this does the job and while it is rendering I can do other things with no lag so it is good enough for right now.

Yours should work really nice.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

111 @ October 19

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users