Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two laptops won't connect to wireless router

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lti

lti

• Members
  • 534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

I am having network connection issues after getting a new router. There is one desktop and three laptops on the network. The desktop computer is connected using Ethernet and has no issues. The laptops use the wireless connection, and only one has a reliable connection.

The two laptops with connection issues run Windows XP Professional. One is a Toshiba Tecra M9 using an Intel 4965AGN wireless adapter. This computer can only rarely connect to the network. Windows always claims that it is connected and does not give the "limited or no connectivity" message, but I was told that Windows stated the computer never received an IP address from the router. When I first tried to use the new router, this computer would give a BSOD when connecting to the wireless network. Updating the driver for the wireless adapter fixed that, but I now have this problem. When the connection is lost, the connection can be successfully repaired by Windows.

The second laptop is a Toshiba Satellite 1000 using a Netgear WNA1100 wireless adapter. This computer randomly loses its connection (Windows gives the "limited or no connectivity" message), but the connection returns in a few minutes.

Also, the connection speed reported by Windows on all three computers suddenly dropped after an unauthorized computer somehow managed to connect to the wireless network. The network is secured using WPA2 and a strong password, so I can only assume that the WPS button on the router was accidentally pressed while someone else was trying to connect their computer to their own router using WPS. After this, the connection speed on the working laptop dropped to 72Mbps and the connection speed on the Toshiba Tecra laptop dropped to 54Mbps.

I did not have the old Toshiba Satellite laptop connected to the old router, but the other computers all worked perfectly with the old router. The old router was a Cisco Linksys E1200, and the new router is an Actiontec C1000A modem/router combo. The router was replaced because the old modem died and the new modem had a built-in router.

Yes, the WPS button on the Actiontec router is really that big. :crazy:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 534 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

I would like to fix this problem. Does anybody have any ideas? This sounds like an issue with the router, but I don't know how to fix it besides connecting the old Linksys router and disabling the router that is built into the modem.

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,010 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:55 AM

Check the XP laptops if they are manage by Windows and manually connect by your wifi network instead - http://library.newpaltz.edu/techpages/wirelessfix.html Make sure all adapters and the router is set to DHCP. Inspect the wifi LED light on your modem/router if it's temporary turned off when you are disconnected. This way you would know if its the router is faulty.

Tekken

#4 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 534 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

That website you linked to is confusing, but I think all of those settings are correct. The network settings are managed by Windows. The computer that can't connect automatically can connect manually if I disconnect and reconnect. The router uses DHCP, and another laptop running Windows 7 connects automatically and stays connected. I don't think any of the network hardware is faulty.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,010 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:42 PM

Then its either a driver update for the wifi adapters if available, interference/out of range. Check the router settings for any channel and signal selection and try changing them to see if it improves on your end.

Tekken

#6 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 534 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

I could force it to use a specific channel. The router normally selects the best channel to use. Which channel would be the best choice? I can choose channels 1 to 11.

One of those computers is already using the latest driver. Older drivers caused the computer to crash with a BSOD when connecting to this router.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,010 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:46 AM

Use the latest wifi driver version. You can try channels 1,6 or 11 and go to a spot where there is less signal interference maybe near the router first.

Tekken

#8 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 534 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

One of those two computers started working after enabling automatic wired/wireless LAN switching in one of the Toshiba network setup tools. I don't know why it worked perfectly with the old router.

The computer that uses the Netgear USB adapter still has issues. I tried the adapter on my old laptop running XP Home Edition, and it doesn't seem to drop the connection. However, the pop-up bubble saying that the computer is connected to the network keeps popping up randomly. On both computers, I am using the driver from the CD included with the adapter. I didn't install the special Netgear software.

Edited by lti, 14 December 2012 - 05:55 PM.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,010 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

Install all instance of softwares needed for the Netgear wifi adapter. See here also http://support.netgear.com/product/WNA1100 Use the WPA security encryption on your modem/router to match the Netgear adapter's wireless security type. Configuring your Netgear wireless http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6740

Tekken

#10 lti

lti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 534 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

I finally tried the Netgear adapter with another router, and it does the same thing. It disconnects randomly, even with a properly functioning router. It looks like I'm using the latest driver, which is actually supplied by Atheros.

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,010 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:53 AM

The only suggestion I could give is toggling the router's setting wireless mode to 802.11n, 802.11 b/g only or 802.11 mixed. Also, check if it has a bandwith setting of 20 Mhz to 20/40 Mhz auto option. I've had success by toggling these settings in the past where some adapters are having a hard time communicating with the router. Please use them alternately and check the difference.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users