Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Most of my programs and settings wont work!!!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 YanoC

YanoC

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:22 AM

I'm in a bit of a quandry. All of a sudden my laptop running XP Pro SP3 seems to have started not letting me open some of my programs and settings. It wont let me open the volume settings to adjust the volume, it wont let me open Microsoft Office's Access, Excel etc... but it will always let me open word. It wont let me open things like notepad either.

I have tried looking for answers but all I am getting is, "Just reinstall all the programs that don't work"

any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 7,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:38 AM

1) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

2) Please run full system scans with both your anti virus app and with MalwareBytes.

#3 YanoC

YanoC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:14 AM

I don't think anything is new or different since the last time it worked properly, it just came on all of a sudden, I have run a full system scan with Avast Antivirus and it keeps finding nothing, it wont let me run malwarebytes setup, just comes up with an error of "runtime error 216 at 7E018C71"

The usual messages I get are "(insert name here) has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." and says tell microsoft about this problem and asks if I want to send an error report.

My Realtek HD Audio manager has also started coming up with "Invalid data stream" as soon as I log into Windows

Its been suggested that this could be a driver problem but that was only from what I managed to translate from a german post on another forum.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 7,804 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:16 AM

Please try installing MalwareBytes in safe mode.

Also, please open device manager - are there any yellow or red symbols?

Last, do you have an XP CD (so we can do a repair install if necessary)?

#5 YanoC

YanoC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:19 AM

I checked the device manager for yellow and red symbols, I didn't see any but I will check again just to be sure, I have an XP CD, no problem there. I'm gonna go and try and install Malwarebytes in safe mode now.

#6 YanoC

YanoC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

Nothing with red or yellow symbols in device manager, I scanned with both Avast Antivirus and Malwarebytes Anti Malware (had to install and use it in safe mode at first) it found a suspect exe file on my desktop and got rid of it, but that has not solved anything.

The file it found has been on my laptop for weeks, not sure why anything else hasn't picked it up.

What shall I do now?

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 7,804 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

What was the "suspect file" Mbam found?

And at this point you can try a repair install, though there's no guaranty it will solve the problem (though if done correctly it shouldn't do any harm):

Boot to the XP CD and choose the SECOND repair option, allowing XP to install on top of itself. After completion you'll need to go to Windows Update and download & install all updates (except for hardware & driver related updates, which should never be downloaded from Windows Update - only from the OEM websites). Here is a clear tutorial on how to perform a repair install: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/

#8 YanoC

YanoC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

It was an exe that I think came out of rar file, it was supposed to be a bands latest ep, clearly wasnt though..lol.

I will try the repair install and let you know how it goes.

Thanks

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 7,804 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

Hold off a sec. If it was an .exe file it might very well have been malware and if that's the case a repair won't do any good. Are you sure the problems didn't start shortly after you downloaded that file?

#10 YanoC

YanoC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

Yeah, I've had the file over a month...the problems started last weekend and continued all this week.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 7,804 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

Okay. If you're sure it's not malware related then go ahead. Otherwise you might want to post in the Am I Infected forum just to make sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users