Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible multiple trojans/rootkits/malware/virus infection

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 Shoemaker21

Shoemaker21

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

Hello.
I am posting on this website because of a suspected malware/trojan/rootkit infection. Here is why I suspect such a thing.

I downloaded a cracked game last night and unpacked the files in it. The files were compressed several times, at least 5 times. first thrice in .rar., then subsequently in two different extensions (.pak then .arc). The last file I found, the .arc file was packed with a .bat file entitled something like unpack.bat and two executables. I downloaded an application to decompress .arc files because I was suspicious of running the .bat and executables. But when opened in a dedicated application, the archive appeared as empty, and only part of it would decompress. So I naively surmised that I should run the .bat file or the executables to unpack the game.

I tried to run the .bat file and one of the executables, after scanning them. Nothing happened. Now, I have to add that I always run a limited account on Windows Vista, and that parental controls are enabled, so that maybe why nothing happened. However, my memory is a little foggy, and I might foolishly have launched at least one of the files with a right click and then selected Run As Administrator.

Since none of the scanners on my computer detected the files as infected, I uploaded them to online scanners like virustotal, Jotti's Malware Scanner etc, and I got a result like 1 AV out of 40 or something detected the files as infected.

Upon seeing this, I looked for anti trojans software, and downloaded and ran TrojanHunter as well as other applications and made a few scans without trying to disinfect the files. TrojanHunter found 20 infected files. Then I decided to post onto this forum.

Now, as stated before, I am not sure at all that, assuming that I'm really infected, that this current infection was caused by the files I downloaded yesterday. They might be linked to an improperly cleaned previous infection, because several months back I got scan results telling me I had trojans and malware. Also, the Hosts file had seemingly been tampered with. I tried to fix the infection myself, and was afterward told on a forum that according to my logs, my computer was clean, so I continued using my computer as usual, with a (maybe false) sense of security.

Also, I might add that one of the scans I did earlier detected infected files on disk D: too, such as DW20.EXE, a file inside a folder called 9314385255491016e610ddff that I don't remember creating or seeing before. Also, that folder seems to be protected or locked, because I cannot open it to look at DW20.EXE.

I made a DDS.scan, then once it finished, started a gmer scan. However, I had to leave the computer for a little while, and when I came back, I was greated by a Blue Screen of Death and an error message telling me I should check if recently installed hardware or software is properly installed. However, I did notice before leaving the computer that gmer listed a lot of things under rootkit/malware. I had Google Chrome running, and it listed the Google Chrome processes there, as well as iexplore.exe or explorer.exe (not sure) I think firefox and winamp too, and maybe TrojanHunter and other processes I forgot, with ".text" written as the type, also there was some text written in parenthesis or something next to to the name of the procceses, but I forgot what it was.

Since I couldn't get a log and had a BSOD, I rebooted the computer. I launched another gmer scan, and this one finished without problems. However, the list of things it detected in Rootkit/Malware is much much smaller than in the first scan. The first scan had literally pages and pages of objects detected.

Also, I do not know if this these count as suspicious activity, but here are a few unusual things that I've noticed lately about my computer:
Hello.
I am posting on this website because of a suspected malware/trojan/rootkit infection. Here is why I suspect such a thing.

I downloaded a cracked game last night and unpacked the files in it. The files were compressed several times, at least 5 times. first thrice in .rar., then subsequently in two different extensions (.pak then .arc). The last file I found, the .arc file was packed with a .bat file entitled something like unpack.bat and two executables. I downloaded an application to decompress .arc files because I was suspicious of running the .bat and executables. But when opened in a dedicated application, the archive appeared as empty, and only part of it would decompress. So I naively surmised that I should run the .bat file or the executables to unpack the game.

I tried to run the .bat file and one of the executables, after scanning them. Nothing happened. Now, I have to add that I always run a limited account on Windows Vista, and that parental controls are enabled, so that maybe why nothing happened. However, my memory is a little foggy, and I might foolishly have launched at least one of the files with a right click and then selected Run As Administrator.

Since none of the scanners on my computer detected the files as infected, I uploaded them to online scanners like virustotal, Jotti's Malware Scanner etc, and I got a result like 1 AV out of 40 or something detected the files as infected.

Upon seeing this, I looked for anti trojans software, and downloaded and ran TrojanHunter as well as other applications and made a few scans without trying to disinfect the files. TrojanHunter found 20 infected files. Then I decided to post onto this forum.

Now, as stated before, I am not sure at all that, assuming that I'm really infected, that this current infection was caused by the files I downloaded yesterday. They might be linked to an improperly cleaned previous infection, because several months back I got scan results telling me I had trojans and malware. Also, the Hosts file had seemingly been tampered with. I tried to fix the infection myself, and was afterward told on a forum that according to my logs, my computer was clean, so I continued using my computer as usual, with a (maybe false) sense of security.

Also, I might add that one of the scans I did earlier detected infected files on disk D: too, such as DW20.EXE, a file inside a folder called 9314385255491016e610ddff that I don't remember creating or seeing before. Also, that folder seems to be protected or locked, because I cannot open it to look at DW20.EXE.

I made a DDS.scan, then once it finished, started a gmer scan. However, I had to leave the computer for a little while, and when I came back, I was greeted by a Blue Screen of Death and an error message telling me I should check if recently installed hardware or software is properly installed. However, I did notice before leaving the computer that gmer listed a lot of things under rootkit/malware. I had Google Chrome running, and it listed the Google Chrome processes there, as well as iexplore.exe or explorer.exe (not sure) I think firefox and winamp too, and maybe TrojanHunter and other processes I forgot, with ".text" written as the type, also there was some text written in parenthesis or something next to the name of the processes, but I forgot what it was.

Since I couldn't get a log and had a BSOD, I rebooted the computer. I launched another gmer scan, and this one finished without problems. However, the list of things it detected in Rootkit/Malware is much much smaller than in the first scan. The first scan had literally pages and pages of objects detected.

Also, I do not know if this these count as suspicious activity, but here are a few unusual things that I've noticed lately about my computer:

-I got a BSOD today, as I explain later. But it happened once in the past few days, except the error message I got was about an error in nonpaged something (sorry, I forgot the error message). I also got a BSOD in the past few months.

-Sometimes when I'm connected to the Internet, I get a DNS error all of a sudden, and can't browse to any website until the error disappears. This hasn't happened on any other computer that is connected to the same network, so it seems unlikely to be a network error.

-Very recently, I've experienced problems when trying to log off or shut down the computer. I would log off or choose Shut Down, but the computer would be stuck endlessly on the splash screen with the words Logging Off and the rotating icon.

Also, just in case, here's a list of the malicious software found by TrojanHunter earlier this day:
(AgentS.132)
(AgentS.192)
(Virus.144)
(Agent.28486)
(Runouce.691)
(Runouce.244)
(Zlob.888)
(Agent.5804)
(Dedem.100)
(AgentS.214)
(Mabezat.198)
(Mabezat.187)
(SDBot.1946)
(SDBot.1946)
(Agent.18185)
(AgentS.192)

That is one long post. Phew. I hope it's not too hard to read. :o But I tried to include as much information as I could remember

Thank you for reading and any help you could possibly provide. :busy:

Attached Files

Edited by Shoemaker21, 31 October 2012 - 09:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Shoemaker21

Shoemaker21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:02 PM

I ran gmer again. The scan is not yet finished, but surprisingly, it shows a lot more objects than the previous scan. I include the log so far with this post, and will post the full log once the scan is finished (and if it finishes). Also the computer is very slow all a of sudden, I don't know if it is because gmer is running.

EDIT
I got a BSOD again, because of that, the gmer scan never finished. Then I launched the computer in Safe Mode, but the computer crashed after a while and I got a BSOD about physical memory dumping. Since the memory dump seemed like it would never end I reboot the computer. Upon rebooting, the computer advised me that running Windows restore would be better, so I did it, but it crashed and I got a BSOD again.
So I rebooted the computer, but it shut down by itself before reaching the logon screen. I rebooted it again, but the computer shut down by itself once more. Afterward, I unplugged the cord and waited for a few minutes before retrying to run the computer, and next time, it ran, and I could log on again.

I remember that one of the BSOD that I got was C000021A
The initial session process or system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of
0X00000000 (0XC0000001 0X001005CC)

Attached Files

Edited by Shoemaker21, 01 November 2012 - 06:29 AM.

#3 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 33,456 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

Hi,

Welcome to Bleeping Computer. My name is m0le and I will be helping you with your log.
  • Please subscribe to this topic, if you haven't already. Click the Watch This Topic button at the top on the right.

• Please avoid installing/uninstalling or updating any programs and attempting any unsupervised fixes or scans. This can make helping you impossible.

• Please reply to this post so I know you are there.
The forum is busy and we need to have replies as soon as possible. If I haven't had a reply after 3 days I will bump the topic and if you do not reply by the following day after that then I will close the topic.

Once I receive a reply then I will return with your first instructions.

[If I have helped you fix your PC then please donate. Thanks
jetian6yw.jpg
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#4 Shoemaker21

Shoemaker21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:32 AM

Hi,
Thank you for answering me! :lol:
I really appreciate it.
I am waiting for further instructions.

PS: I have a question. These past days, when I use my computer to surf the web nothing strange happens, except that sometimes it slowdowns. If my computer is infected, is it better for me to avoid using it except when I need to follow your instructions? Do these kind of infections get worse as time passes? I heard that trojans or rootkits can download new trojans onto the computer, in that case is it better to avoid connecting the computer to the internet?

Edited by Shoemaker21, 04 November 2012 - 05:39 AM.

#5 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• 33,456 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

If my computer is infected, is it better for me to avoid using it except when I need to follow your instructions? Do these kind of infections get worse as time passes? I heard that trojans or rootkits can download new trojans onto the computer, in that case is it better to avoid connecting the computer to the internet?

Yes, rootkits can bring plenty more problems so you should avoid using it. However, your explanation seems to be that there are virtually no symptoms from the atatck. You may have got lucky.

First let's scan for rootkits

Please download aswMBR ( 511KB ) to your desktop.
  • Double click the aswMBR.exe icon to run it
  • Click the Scan button to start the scan
  • On completion of the scan, click the save log button, save it to your desktop and post it in your next reply.

jetian6yw.jpg

#6 Shoemaker21

Shoemaker21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

When I ran aswMBR, I got a prompt to download Avast definitions. I did not know what to do, so choose to let it download them. Also, I left the default choice Quickscan under AV scan. I don't know if this is important. Here's the log.

Attached Files

Edited by Shoemaker21, 04 November 2012 - 12:39 PM.

#7 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• 33,456 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

That looks okay. Please run OTL (a scanner) next

• Please download OTL
  • Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.
  • Push the Posted Image button.

jetian6yw.jpg

#8 Shoemaker21

Shoemaker21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:30 AM

I left the default setting "File Age = 30 Days", is it alright?

Attached Files

• Attached File  OTL.Txt   82.08KB   3 downloads

#9 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• 33,456 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

There's nothing yet. Please run MBAM for me

Please download Posted Image Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application or, if you are using Vista, right-click and select Run As Administrator on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
    If MBAM won't update then download and update MBAM on a clean computer then save the rules.ref folder to a memory stick. This file is found here: 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware' then transfer it across to the infected computer.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Full Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes, they may alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please permit the program to allow the changes.
jetian6yw.jpg

#10 Shoemaker21

Shoemaker21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is already installed on the infected computer. Should I uninstall it and then reinstall it, or should I instead just update the one already installed?

#11 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• 33,456 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

Update the one you have and run it.
jetian6yw.jpg

#12 Shoemaker21

Shoemaker21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

Here is the log.

Attached Files

#13 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• 33,456 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

I think I'd like an ESET scan just to double check

I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan
  • Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on Posted Image to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check Posted Image and check Remove found threats
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • Copy and paste the resulting log in your next reply
If no log is generated that means nothing was found. Please let me know if this happens.

If you think a log should have been generated then go to C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Online Scanner\log.txt to find it.
jetian6yw.jpg

#14 Shoemaker21

Shoemaker21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:21 AM

Here is the log.