Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I was wondering when this might happen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:10 AM

Too many unanswered questions on the old list. I believe because there was too much mixture of tablet types. So they finally broke it out into separate Android, Windows and IOS sections.

So I'll get it started.

I've owned several tablets. Most of them junk. But notable ones have been Acer Iconia A100 (two broken ones right now), and now Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. I prefer 7" tablets because they sit perfectly in the leg pocket of cargo pants. Looks like Apple has discovered that, too. I doubt Microsoft will last long enough to make one, or to make one that sells.

I rooted one of my Acers to get linux installed. The one that worked left me unimpressed It runs a VNC session, not natively) and another one didn't install. I thought I'd upgrade, so I installed ICS (before it was officially released to me), rooted it again and tried to install that one (Bohdi) again. It still failed. Then I dropped the tablet and now it locks up a few minutes after booting. The other Acer was my son's. He broke the screen. (I intend to Frankenstein them into one good one as soon as I can get the cases open. I've seen demos, but the case is still fighting me on the only one I've messed with.)

I got the Samsung, rooted it and installed Cyangenomod(sp). It got locked in a boot loop first boot. When trying to recover it I got a tablet that wouldn't run anything from Google. Great, an Android tablet that doesn't run Android. At all. I finally found a ROM that got it working OK again. There are some apps missing now, but the only one I miss is a Samsung remote control app. It's not in the market. There is one, but it doesn't work the same way as the original. I haven't given up.

OK. Now we have a topic.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,443 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:54 PM

ROM's and Rooting are hit or miss. There's usually a lot of documentation (aka > 5 lines of text) about what the maker has broken, what isn't working 100%, whats working even though it shouldn't, etc.

I rooted my old phone last week and the Camera Flash is inop now, not a big deal since I was just stripping the phone for my friends daughter to play angry Birds and Fruit Ninja and we didnt want her to have 911 Access ( I removed the dialer). Boot loops and Bricks happen, thats why I make it a point not to root anything I cant replace easily.

Posted Image

#3 michl

michl

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

I see this thread is pretty quiet, so I'll add some material that may 'kick it up a notch'.

I'm running two tablets - an ASUS TF201 Prime and an ASUS TF700 Infinity, both running Jelly Bean. I've configured the Prime for use by my wife, who's mostly a web surfer and searcher for new cooking recipes. The Infinity is my main tool for exploring the Internet, 'war driving', learning new stuff, watching videos, and playing the odd game.

Most people think of me as a geek, although I don't know how the title applied to a retired curmudgeon.

I'd be happy to offer feedback to others who may be looking for help with their Android tablets.

'til next time,

Mike

#4 stiltskin

stiltskin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:55 PM

Back on my latest trial, I finally found a pristine ROM of the original Galaxy tablet model I own. This weekend I plan on restoring it. Then I'll root it and see if I can isolate the remote control app.

I discovered that my problem with CyanogenMod was due to my own mistake. I turns out that they don't really have a ROM for my tablet. Either I misread what I was downloading, or I found a knock-off that didn't work properly. Either way, I can afford to repeat the mistake several times over and still restore things thanks to the original I found a couple of days ago. So I fully intend to crash it some more after I successfully get the remote control app safely where I can get to it again.

My wife messed with one of my tablets for about an hour one night. She hated it. That will last until somebody can do something that she wants to be able to do. Like happened once before. She ended up with her owning an Android phone because of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users