Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Touchpad Alps! Can't find driver. Help[

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

Just finished to the upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8. The upgrade went surprisingly seamless and except for the long download and installation was a breeze. I am still learning to get around on my laptop. I upgraded on a Dell XPS m1530. The only thing I was required to uninstall was my Alps touchpad. I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find a Dell (or Alps) Windows 8 driver. I am running a 64 bit processor.

If I can't find a Winows 8 touchpad driver, is it possible to locate a Windows 7 driver and use it. Has anyone been successful doing this. If so, what is the process to install the driver (8 or 7) in Windows 8.

I am fascinated with the process to setup Windows 8 and just as amazed at how it works. It does work much better with my laptop then I thought it would!!!

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kimr

kimr

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:15 AM

Just finished to the upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8. The upgrade went surprisingly seamless and except for the long download and installation was a breeze. I am still learning to get around on my laptop. I upgraded on a Dell XPS m1530. The only thing I was required to uninstall was my Alps touchpad. I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find a Dell (or Alps) Windows 8 driver. I am running a 64 bit processor.

If I can't find a Winows 8 touchpad driver, is it possible to locate a Windows 7 driver and use it. Has anyone been successful doing this. If so, what is the process to install the driver (8 or 7) in Windows 8.

I am fascinated with the process to setup Windows 8 and just as amazed at how it works. It does work much better with my laptop then I thought it would!!!

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

I was finally successful with my Asus laptop using Windows 7 64 bit drivers off the Asus website. There are no Windows 8 drivers for my laptop.

#3 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 279 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:11 PM

That is what I am beginning to find. I have logitech wireless mouse that works fine with it but I would still like the functionality of using a touchpad.

Can you step me through what you did to install the Win 7 driver. Is it as simple as downloading it from the net and just running from the download. I appreciate your assistance. Let me know what your observations of Windows 8 are. I have four Windows 7 machines and will eventually upgrade all. Was completely intrigued with the entire installation process. Thanks again. I look forward to hearing how you did install the touchpad drivers.

#4 JazzMahn

JazzMahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 279 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

Driver problem for Alps Touchpad for my Dell XPS m1530 laptop which I upgraded yesterday to Windows 8 must have been solved through a Windows Update. I saw that there were 5 updates to be finished. I don't think you can update when you wish but rather with automatic updates set when good old Microsoft is ready. Anyway, it solved my problem and all is working perfectly now.

Just wanted to let everybody know!!! :clapping:

#5 robinsonpr

robinsonpr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:53 PM

Hi Jazz,

I also upgraded my XPS M1530 yesterday. All went fine. I had the old Vista drivers for the touchpad already downloaded from the Dell site (I've been using that driver on Windows 7 for the past couple of years). I installed that driver, and it's all working.

BUT......

The Windows 8 "gestures" aren't working. Eg you should be able to swipe in from the right on the touchpad and it should open up the "charms" bar on the right of the screen.

When you say your system is working perfectly now, does that include the Windows 8 genstures on the touchpad???

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users