Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I did a fresh install of Windows XP and I can't access windows update: Error 0x8024400A

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Nacster

Nacster

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:51 AM

Hello and good day to everyone on the Forum,

I was hoping I could get some help, with regards to my HP Pavilion Media Center Desktop..I recently had to perform a clean/fresh install of Windows XP, using the system recovery disks that came with my computer..Once everything has been re-installed, my computer is equipped with Windows XP Media Center Edition and Internet Explorer 6 with Service Pack 2..The problem I'm having, is once I go into Windows Update to re-install all the necessary updates..I receive the message: The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view - Error Number: 0x8024400A ..No updates are shown or given to me..Also not sure if it helps, but my recovery disks come with Norton Internet Security 2006, which is outdated..So, I'm not sure if this is causing some kind of conflict..Or maybe I'm doing something wrong when I'm performing the clean/fresh install of Windows XP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..Also, please keep in mind that my computer skills are average at best..Thanking everyone in advance for their time and patience.

Edited by Nacster, 26 October 2012 - 11:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nett0

Nett0

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

Check to make sure the clock and date are set right first. Windows Update doesn't like messed up times.

Otherwise use UVK and go to system repair, and repair windows update. Very useful tool I use all the time with the computers I see.

#3 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:28 PM

You dont need UVK.

Install windows update agent

http://download.windowsupdate.com/WindowsUpdate/redist/standalone/7.4.7600.226/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

Upgrade to IE 8

You should be able to install updates now

good luck

#4 Nacster

Nacster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

Check to make sure the clock and date are set right first. Windows Update doesn't like messed up times.

Otherwise use UVK and go to system repair, and repair windows update. Very useful tool I use all the time with the computers I see.

Hello Nett0 and thanks for the information..It's greatly appreciated..However, I don't mean to sound ungrateful/disrespectful when I say this but I decided to go with what narenxp suggested..Simply because I'm not very good with computers and I feel more comfortable using microsoft products..Again, I want to thank you very much for your time and effort..Have a great day.

#5 Nacster

Nacster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

Hello narenxp and thanks for the information..I installed the the windows update agent from the link that you provided and I was able to get all the updates installed onto my computer..Thank you, once again..Also if it's not too much trouble, I had a question and another issue that I was hoping you might be able to answer for me..First off, I'm just curious as to why I didn't experience this problem the last time I had to do a clean/fresh install of Windows XP on my computer..What I'm trying to say, is that I had no problem connecting to the Windows Update and retreiving the necessary updates but this time around I did..Is it because I didn't do a proper clean/fresh install?

Also, my other issue is that as soon as I turn on my HP Pavilion desktop I get a window popping up (I believe it's the Windows Installer) trying to install programs that came pre-bundled on the system recovery discs for my HP..For example: Sonic MyDVD Plus, which is a CD/DVD burning program..However, as soon as it tries to download it stops and I get the message: "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable" and then followed by a message: "Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to the folder containing the installation package MyDVD.MSI in the box below"..I tried clicking OK but I keep getting the same error message..Any help would be greatly appreciated..I'm pretty sure that I never experienced this issue the last time I did a clean/fresh install..If I remember correctly, these programs would pop-up and install onto my computer without any issues..Thanks again for your time and patience..Have a great day.

Edited by Nacster, 26 October 2012 - 06:19 PM.

#6 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

Reason you got the error is because version of windows update that came as part of your operating system doesnt have access to windows update services.So we need to update it using windows update agent.

Regarding sonic DVD issue i can help you remove the error message but if you need the software,you may have to reinstall it.Corrupt install of sonic DVD software could have caused the issue.

Download

Autoruns

Extract and launch autoruns.exe

Allow the scan to get finished

Now click on FILE-SAVE

Filename:Autoruns.txt
Save as :Text

Paste the contents of text here

#7 Nacster

Nacster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

Hi narenxp,

I apologize for the late response and I want to thank you once again for the information..I hope I don't sound ungrateful and inconsiderate when I say this but I'd like to try re-installing Windows XP once again..My computer just doesn't seem to be running properly..It seems a little glitchy and buggy..Every time I start up my computer, I always get pop-up's from Windows Installer, Sonic MyDVD Plus and HP Update Agent..The last time I did a proper clean/fresh install of Windows XP was back in 2009 and I don't recall experiencing any of these issues..Which leads me to believe, that maybe I did something wrong when re-installing Windows XP..I apologize once again, I'm afraid my computer skills are average at best.

Also, I wonder if it might have something to do with the fact that the recovery discs come pre-installed with Norton Internet Security 2006..You see, once I've done a clean/fresh install of Windows XP..I'm automatically stuck with the outdated Norton Internet Security 2006 and I can't completely update it..I tried downloading the Norton Removal Tool, to delete it from my computer..However, now I'm wondering if it would be better to manually remove it from my system using the Add/Remove Programs in the control panel..What do you think?..I thank you once again, for your time and patience..Have a great day.

P.S Is there any type of program that could scan my computer for missing/corrupted programs, folders, files, etc. and repair them?..You know, something that could check my computer to make sure everything is in order and working properly?..Maybe that might make things easier?

Edited by Nacster, 28 October 2012 - 04:58 PM.

#8 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

P.S Is there any type of program that could scan my computer for missing/corrupted programs, folders, files, etc. and repair them?

No,considering that you want to check after a CLEAN INSTALL

Uninstall the programs that are causing issues especially Norton which i dont recommend.Go for microsoft security essentials or Avast.`

#9 Nacster

Nacster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:01 AM

Hi narenxp,

Thank you once again, for the information..It's greatly appreciated..Ok, I will try and do another clean/fresh install of Windows XP and then I will delete the Norton Internet Security 2006 and download the Microsoft Security Essentials..I will keep you posted..Thanks again for your time and patience..Have a great day.

#10 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

You're welcome :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users