Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Surface install question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cuhkwan

cuhkwan

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:41 AM

Hi forum,

I am interested in the Microsoft's Surface Pro. Does anyone know that if it can be installed regular program (just like a desktop kind) or apps (like the smartphone) or both kinds. I have never used a tablet before, so I want to know more about Surface's function.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:37 AM

The Surface is using an ARM processor (Tegra 3). Meaning nothing made for the desktop will work with it until the software is recompiled for ARM. Some of it will take some tweaking or rewriting to make it work at all.

Microsoft will eventually recompile some things if they haven't done so already. Others may be a different story. Some probably will do it. But a lot will more than likely wait to see if the Surface is popular enough to mail it good economically for them to bother. In other words, if enough sell, expect more software quickly. But if not enough of the devices sell, don't expect some software to be ported soon, if it ever is.

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

Actually the MS Surface Pro is able to run traditional X86 programs because it has a i5 dual core processor in it.

>Michael ~ Got my Katy Perry Australian concert ticket :3 
System1: CPU- AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB Kit(4Gx2) DDR3 1600MHz, SSD/HDD- 2x Intel 520 Series 120GB RAID-0/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x Asus HD6950 1GB Crossfire , Motherboard- Gigabyte 990FXA-D3, Case- Coolermaster HAF 932, PSU- Corsair CS-750M, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 2300+  System2: Mid-2010 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:05 AM

Yes, you are correct. I assumed the question was about the RT. But the Pro will let you carry a desktop around sort of.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users