Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash BIOS Update

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 StillAMeese

StillAMeese

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

Hi. I have a Gateway LX6810-01 desktop running Windows Vista and am having issues with random shutdowns. (I know, this isn't a model that is receiving accolades from users, I've only found this out since purchasing it a couple years ago, but replacing it isn't an option at this point in time.) I've researched the issue trying to diagnose the problem and have found a TON of info indicating that this is a common problem with this model desktop and that it is fan/thermal related and that updating BIOS usually either solves the problem or makes a drastic improvement.

I've used the command prompt, typed in "msinfo32", and based upon the info provided, I've learned that my current version of BIOS is American Megatrends Inc. R01-A0, 10/31/2008.

I visited the Gateway support website and the most recent BIOS version for my model desktop is R01-A2, 7/13/2010. Everything I am reading has caution remarks everywhere about being ultra careful with running bios updates and that doing something wrong could make my desktop unable to boot. I've read and printed out the readme file to be sure I don't screw anything up, however I feel as though I'm reading a foreign language despite considering myself to be moderately computer savvy.

Can someone please walk me through this so I don't screw anything up?

In the readme file, it indicates making a DOS bootable disk and also copy AFUDOS.EXE and target BIOS rom file and "DOSFlash.bat" onto that disk. I do not know how to make a DOS bootable disk and so I need a little hand-holding for this task.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:04 PM

Hi,

You can flash the BIOS also inside windows.

If you downloaded the BIOS_Gateway_R01.A2_A_A.zip file from the gateway page extract the file to a folder like c:\BIOS\

Close all the programs running including the Antivirus software and any other security programs you have.
On the extracted files locate WINFlash.bat, right click the file and choose Execute as Administrator.

After flashing the BIOS shutdown completely the computer and then turn it on again after one or two minutes.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU
___
Rui

#3 StillAMeese

StillAMeese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

It took me what seems like forever to finally get around to trying this.

I downloaded the zip file, extracted everything to a c:\bios folder...

First I tried right clicking on the winflash.bat file and told it to run as Administrator. I clicked through all of the prompts and a command prompt screen literally flashed on my screen for about half a second and disappeared. Nothing seemed to happen.

Next I tried right clicking the afuwin.exe file. I got a box for American Megatrends, the flash button did not highlight until I clicked "open" and selected the only .rom file that appeared. After that, I clicked "flash"... and then got a warning that said "CMOS layout difference between system ROM and ROM file has been detected. AFU recommend adding /B, /C commands of your original input commands." Then there is the option of accept, force or quit. First I tried telling it to accept and then got an error message saying "Error: File ROM ID incorrect". I tried it again, this time selecting "force" but got the same error.

What am I doing wrong?

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

Hi,

Edit the file winflash.bat using Notepad and add a pause command on a new line like this:
AFUWIN 8A7G1P03.ROM /P /B /C
pause

Save the file and run the winflash.bat batch as Administrator, the pause command will stop the script execution and give you the chance to read any error messages.

Make sure you close all the programs and stop the Antivirus protection before running the script.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU
___
Rui

#5 drmusic4771

drmusic4771

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:19 PM

Thanks Sleepydude you helped me what I did was downloaded it to my desktop and then made a new folder in the c:\ and named it bios and then extracted all the files or folders to the c:\ and clicked on winflash.bat and didn't even have to go to administrator and it started working thanks so much I was having random shutdowns when playing online facebook games such as farm heroes saga etc.. and thought my pc was going out or too hot and needed more fans but ended up getting rear case fan anyways just in case and now my fan speed on processor is going over 3,500 rpms when it was only 1358 before flashing it.

#6 drmusic4771

drmusic4771

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:35 AM

I had to use this bios cause gateway's from their own site would not work for me at all. Here's the one I used from this site here: https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-gateway-LX-6810                        actual bios here: ftp://esupport:[email protected]/pub/hardware_support/drivers/LX6810/LX6810_BIOS_722.zip  I tried the one sllepydude gave but it failed no matter what I did even tried following his instructions so I used his instructions on the one I list above from this paragraph and it worked no more overheating issues or random shutdowns from using java, flash player or shockwave from facebook games. When I would play facebook games the fan would run normal and not cool it down enough then it would shutdown and restart then after installing the bios I list bam resolved the fan automatically goes faster like over 3,000 rpms when before it was like 1400 rpms to 1600 rpms cause of the intel 8200 cpu processor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users