Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Squeaky Mouse Scroll Wheel

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 33,729 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

My HP USB Wired Optical Mouse (XQ500AA) scroll wheel has developed a squeak.

Can anyone give me a nice simple fix for it?
[If I have helped you fix your PC then please donate. Thanks
jetian6yw.jpg
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 27,737 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:53 PM

precision oiler(read metal needle point) with a single drop of sewing machine oil worked for my logitech. I was so annoyed I didn't care and if it didn't work I would have replaced it.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown

Posted Image

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 18,381 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

Another option would be to use dry graphite to lube the wheel.

Depending on the environment where the mouse is being used, oil could accumulate dust and cause more problems.
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.  Groucho Marx

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 27,737 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

Excellent suggestion dc3. I didn't have any at the time. And for as much as I would use it I wasn't going to spend the money on buying it for a single application. I half anticipated I'd be replacing the mouse anyway.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown

Posted Image

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:36 PM

I no longer have a wheel mouse. But long ago I used Elmer's Slide-All - it's dry spray, I think it's Teflon type. No black graphite, no sticky-dust attracting oil. It's great for everything - door hinges, bottom of skis, and many other things such as moving plastic parts. It's very, very slippery, but mouse wheel was accurate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users