Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 will not boot up, flashing blue screen

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ejcurry

ejcurry

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:16 PM

my dell computer xp windows 7 when i try to boot up it will just get to blue screen but does not bring up accounts or allow to boot up any further then blinks or flashes blue to black screen and back. I can boot in safe mode and i have scanned computer with mal-ware, mcafee, and eset scanner . have not found a virus. I did lose the ability to watch you-tube videos, and the last error i got was adobe crashed. i don't know what to do from here. I have windows disk and thought about booting from it and doing a system repair but when i put that disk in i do not have the system repair option just an installation option. any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

Hello,

(1.) What is the model number of your Dell computer?

(2.) Access the Advanced Boot Options Menu:
  • Power on the computer and start tapping the F8 key to bring up the Advanced Boot Options Menu.
  • Arrow down to Last Known Good Configuration and press <Enter>. Reboot and try to enter normal Windows.
  • If no luck, then access the Advanced Boot Options Menu once again.
  • Arrow to Disable automatic restart on system failure and press <Enter>.
  • Reboot the computer.
  • The next time the computer "blue Screens" with an error, the screen will freeze allowing you to see the possible cause of the error.
  • Posted Image
  • Please write down the corresponding information as shown in the red boxes for your next post.
[/list]

Regards,
Brooks

#3 ejcurry

ejcurry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:17 PM

1) model of computer is studio xps 1640,

2) i reboot in both as you said and it did nothing. I am attaching 2 pictures one is just the blue screen right before it flashes to black screen. the 2nd is when it says windows did not shut down succesfully then it gives me the opportunity to reboot in safe mode.

Attached Files

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:00 PM

( 1.) Have you tried system restore, via safe mode, to a point before the problem started?

( 2.) Run Dell Diagnostics at start-up:
  • Turn on the computer.
  • When the DELL™ logo appears, press <F12> immediately.
    • If you wait too long and the Microsoft® Windows® logo appears, continue to wait until you see the Windows desktop. Then shut down your computer and try again.
  • When the boot device list appears, highlight Diagnostics and press <Enter>.
  • After the Pre-boot System Assessment completes, select Express Test.
  • Report any errors.
( 3.) Attempt a Startup Repair using your Windows 7 Installation DVD: See how to Boot to the System Recovery Options in Windows 7.
  • Arrow down and follow Option Two.
  • At the System Recovery Options screen, select Startup Repair
  • If it's unable to repair, run it two more times before quiting.

Regards,
Brooks

#5 !coolburger!

!coolburger!

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:15 PM

it could also be a memory hardware problem. When you are booting up, see if you can press f12 (before windows loading screen comes up)
to do a test

#6 ejcurry

ejcurry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:51 PM

right now I am scanning the system now. it says so far no errors and will take 30 more mins do i want to continue and i said yes. I have tried to put in the windows 7 dvd and the only option i have is to install. there is no system repair on it? do i just install over the old one? kind of confused on this one.

thanks

Ernest

#7 ejcurry

ejcurry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:00 PM

hello

I received and error code 0147 then msg error code 2000-0147 then msg optical driver self test , OPU test failed. now it is asking if i want to retry?

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

I have tried to put in the windows 7 dvd and the only option i have is to install. there is no system repair on it?

you click to install ,and on the next screen lower left you see it written to run the win7 repair click on it

:bananas: The story of a young boy growing up in Cape Breton and becoming heavily addicted to IV Drugs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApCvjXGUQ_Y&feature=youtu.be

aug 2014, last week this young man lost his life in a single car accident on his way to work ,so sad

#9 ejcurry

ejcurry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:35 PM

i put in the dvd and clicked on repair and it found no errors, so now what is the next step?

ernie

#10 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:17 AM

Hello,

Error msg: 2000-0147 refers to your DVDROM drive: (see here). It would seem, however that the DVDROM drive is functioning if you can boot and run Startup Repair.

Let's attempt an off-line check disk on the Dell.
  • Boot the computer from the Windows 7 installation DVD as you did for the Startup Repair.
  • When at the System Recovery Options Menu, click Command Prompt.
  • At the X:\sources> type: bcdedit | find "osdevice"
  • Note: the space after bcdedit, after |, and after find. Please include the quotation marks.
  • The vertical line "|" is obtained by holding the <Shift> key and pressing the "\" key.
  • You should receive a response such as: osdevice partition=X:
  • Because your hard drive has hidden diagnostic partitions, the OS partition may NOT be C:
  • Please substitute the osdevice partition= value (i.e. C:, or D:, or E:, etc) in place of X: in the command to follow.
  • Next, type: chkdsk X: /R then press <Enter>.
    • (Note the space after chkdsk and after the value for X: )
  • Check Disk will progress through 5 stages, could take several hours to complete, and may at times appear to freeze. Check Disk should not be interrupted.
  • When finished, a summary will be presented. Note any errors. Type: exit to leave the DOS box.
  • Restart the computer and attempt to boot into normal windows.
[/list]

Regards,
Brooks

#11 ejcurry

ejcurry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

hello Artrooks,

I can run Start=up repair and when it finishes it says there are no errors. When I boot up in safe mode it is telling me that windows hasn't shut down properly. I am running check disk now.

#12 ejcurry

ejcurry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

ran chkdsk and it made corrections to the file system. and it failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50. attempting to restart windows and all I get is to the blue screen with windows 7 home premium on the bottom but no where for me to log on to users. its like it boots up just half-way. I can boot in safe mode though. now it is blinking from blue to black screen.

#13 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:19 AM

Hi ejcurry,

ran chkdsk and it made corrections to the file system

I would run chkdsk once more as it can take a few runs for it to correct all the errors that it can.

I would then followup chkdsk with SFC /SCANNOW. We might get lucky and a corrupt system file may be replaced.
  • If SFC doesn't find and "integrity violations," you can exit.
  • If SFC reports that it found and corrected "integrity violations," run it once more.

Edited to add:

it failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50.

There will be no chkdsk log in event viewer when it is run from the Windows Installation DVD.

Edited by Artrooks, 08 October 2012 - 09:23 AM.

Regards,
Brooks

#14 ejcurry

ejcurry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:03 PM

Hello Artrooks,

Ran chkdsk again and then ran sfc and then I tried again to start windows normally and nothing. I tried again in safe mode and it came up. I am totally stumped.

ejcurry

#15 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:12 AM

Hello,

Let's try a few more options.

( 1.) To rule out whether software or a third party driver is preventing Windows from starting normally, please try a clean boot.
  • Arrow down to the More Information section.
  • Click on the plus (+) sign next to Step 1, then follow those directions.
  • Reboot the computer.
  • Let us know whether the computer booted into normal Windows.
  • If YES, we'll proceed to Step 2.
  • If NO, please follow Step 3 to reverse the changes made in MSConfig.

( 2.) Check computer memory

Start Dell Diagnostics (post #4)
  • After the Pre-boot System Assessment completes, select Custom Test and test memory specifically (long test if available).
  • Report any errors.

Regards,
Brooks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users